Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

afraid to switch daycare: $40 less per week

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM
  • 25 Replies

my LO spent his first 15 months with me and then he went to daycare.He is 2 1/2 now and he is VERY familiar with the daycare and his friends. He didn't go during summer and there was a small group of kids he really liked that are not going anymore but he now seems fine with the new group.

I have been struggling financially and every month by the 20 or so I have enough to pay daycare and almost now extra money.

I found a preschool near home that charges $ 40 less per week. Advantages: no TV (daycare has TV) and perhaps a more structured program.

Saving $ 40 per week is a good chunck of money but I never changed his daycare and I am afraid.I know some kids switch quite often.

any input on this? specially from moms that needed to switch

thanks

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerossandra
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM

BUMP!

lunyuny
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM
I always kept the boys in the same child care facility.
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this
We've used the same facility for almost 8 years! However, if I was in your position and the new facility met my standards (clean, safe, healthy learning environment, curriculum etc) then I would change centers. At some point in our lives we all have to deal with change. It MAY or MAY NOT be a difficult transition for him. But in the end, he'll be okay :-)
mz23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM
My dd is 18 mos and has been to a few. Im very picky. I found a new daycare, recommended by someone I know she'll only keep 3 kids a day which I like but she has dogs in the house. This is a problem to me also she takes the kids places which I kinda ddon't like. I like centers but they are too big, the last daycare the tv was always on and always dark in the house, before that she went to head start. It was ghetto and her teachers weren't too smart ( kept feeding her things I told them not too) ; ((( anyways have you checked out the daycare? Maybe bring your son and see how he likes it. Maybe dad can help pay half of the cost it would be nice to stay where yoy at esp if both you like it, but your son will be ok if he switches.
wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

If you feel it would be better for him at the new daycare, then switch him. Children adjust much more easily and quickly than we do, and any time you can do something that will make a better life for your child, you should jump at it. Check out the new daycare some more, make sure it's really want you want for him, and a better option, and then go for it if it is.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM
I don't know if he goes to a chain daycare or not but if not, maybe you could talk to the owner.

I work full time at a daycare. We are privately owned and operated. We love our babies and hate to see any of them leave. I know for a fact that even though we have set "rates", everybody pays something different based on their situation.
jujubear1
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM
I'd switch, but check it out first. I always go for a full walk through and ask a bunch of questions.
mlmmom509
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM

My kids had to switch a couple of times and always did well. It also helped the transition when they started school. I felt allowing them to transition at a young age helped tremendously making the transition to kinder and even new schools a lot smoother because they were confident they would adjust. 

I should also add that I always checked out the new facility on my own at first, then brought the kids and toured it and even hung out and interacted for an hour or so to see how things ran and they generally allow the child to interact as well while you are there. Then after leaving talking to the child about it, and asking if they liked the new friends and teacher...... 

katemckenzie
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM
I would for sure switch! Preschool is really beneficial!
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Have you done a walk through of the other daycare? If you like the other daycare and think they'll meet your needs then I say switch. You would save over $400 a year by switching.

When I switched ds's daycare I did a walk through and asked tons of questions. I picked the daycare that I felt would best meet our needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)