Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I dont force my kids to eat...AM I REALLY A BAD MOM BECAUSE OF THAT?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM
  • 22 Replies

So my kids are really picky....well let me take that back, my youngest son is really picky when it comes to food...my oldest son is starting to follow suit. So check this out, ever since my youngest was two he has never ate candy....and at the age of 4 now, he still does not eat candy. If you ask him does he want some....he throws a fit. So just imagine how halloween is for him, he absolutely despises that holiday....and will not let no one put candy in his bucket! I MEAN NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THAT, GOOD FOR THE DENTIST AND GOOD FOR ME! Just a bit strange....he also has a problem with eating vegetables, and used to have the problem with eating certain fruits....so I thought maybe it was a texture problem right? The doctors dont think so, they say keep trying. So he is always constipated, my mom says thats because he doesnt eat enough green vegetables and when he is at my house i make him eat it, even if he has to sit at the table for hours. And I understand that older generation tactic....but my son crying for hours is not what i like to hear, and the whole "if you dont eat it tonight, you will eat it tomorrow before you eat anything else!" I dont like that either! I understand  that health wise the vegetables must get in my sons system, so my tactic is " eat this much off your plate then your done!" He at least eats some....sometimes thats the best I can do...I just started substituting his vegetables with v8 juices, etc. And his bows have been regular. Now my oldest son he is starting the "I dont eat that!" to stuff he had been eating! And that is a bit frustrating. This past month I bought all the things my kids normally eat...fruit cups, apple sauces, chips, nature valley bars....and as i pack them in their backpack for after school snack i hear " I dont like that anymore!" "I dont eat that anymore!" I dont like cheetos!"  "I dont eat pb&j!" Lol what!?!?! I dont know this whole eating thing, is a hassle! What is a mama to do???

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Children do not work to buy the food we feed them.

iamtryingforme
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd doesn't eat candy either. Hopefully your kids will grow out of not liking food. Maybe try Ensure to get them some of the nutrients they are missing. Good luck and remember they are your kids to raise them how you want to raise them.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure you're giving a multi vitamin to ensure they're getting necessary nutrients.

If my son doesn't eat what I make then he just won't eat.

dreandtaemommy
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Well they both get two vitamins every morning....so thats good
dreandtaemommy
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:29 PM
And that is the absolute truth

Quoting virginiamama71:

Children do not work to buy the food we feed them.

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM
This. I never force anyone to eat.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Make sure you're giving a multi vitamin to ensure they're getting necessary nutrients.

If my son doesn't eat what I make then he just won't eat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monsita
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Lets be nice about it.

My strategy is A FRUIT FOR THE DAY
A veggie for the night, lol

My kids are a little picky too: one would not eat salad no matter what
The another one would not eat potatoes
And my youngest would just have two bites of each meal and he is done.

My key to not go crazy will all of this, is to remember it is a kid stage....so, I help their health with healthy meals and with chewing vitamins, lol
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm old school. If you don't eat, you go hungry. And I'm not in the business of making separate meals. That being said, they will at least try what I've prepared. I don't get the substituting fruit for a drink (regardless of what kind). I feel like if it's not the actual fruit or veggie than it doesn't count. Lol.

As far as what you're describing it sounds like your kids are being difficult rather than picky eaters. I'm siding with your mom on this one. All the groceries you bought, that the kids claim not to eat anymore...make them eat it.
omm76002
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:04 AM
So what do you do when your child is losing weight when you do the eat what I cook or go without? I mean alot of weight....

Quoting moosesmom: I'm old school. If you don't eat, you go hungry. And I'm not in the business of making separate meals. That being said, they will at least try what I've prepared. I don't get the substituting fruit for a drink (regardless of what kind). I feel like if it's not the actual fruit or veggie than it doesn't count. Lol.

As far as what you're describing it sounds like your kids are being difficult rather than picky eaters. I'm siding with your mom on this one. All the groceries you bought, that the kids claim not to eat anymore...make them eat it.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:06 AM
If my son isn't hungry I don't make him eat but he doesn't get anything else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)