Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I feel like grandma doesn't respect me. -rant

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:23 AM
  • 16 Replies

Ill probably be bashed but my son's dad's family is getting in my nerves. My son's dad is in jail for a few more months. The things he's done in the last few years are beyond what I could imagine him doing. Long story short, I feel he is an unfit father. I talked to a lawyer about him but decided that it's best for him to take me to court for visitation when he decides that he wants to be a part of our child's life. 

Anyway, his mom wasn't the best mother. I don't agree with some of the things she is teaching and encouraging my two year old to do at her house. Like hitting and kicking her. She's teaching him that, among other things. I'd talk to her but I don't know how to approach her. I feel like with other situations she doesn't acknowledge the fact that I'm the mother and I should be asked before certain things are decided. Like my son's dad's new child which he has not met yet nor taken a DNA test on. Grandma was going to have my son.meet the new baby. I feel like I should have been told about this before she tried to plan this out. 

I'm just really nervous for my son's dad to get out of jail. He hasn't seen our son in almost a year. Not just because he was in jail. There were several months before jail where he had chances to take our son but never did. Our son doesn't even recognize him. Ill have to reintroduce them. 

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I see no issue with meeting the new baby, but speak up when it comes to the hitting and kicking! You're the mom! 

dreandtaemommy
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM

he should not be meeting the new baby....dont get your child attach to a kid who might not even be around...due to DNA or the fathers actions.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Honestly, talk to grandma.  Tell her that if she continues to encourage this behavior she won't be allowed to spend time with your son.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM

You need to speak to her. Explain that you don't want your son thinking it's ok to go around hitting people and that rules need to be consistent everywhere he goes.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Do you live with her?

rvb146
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM
No

Quoting virginiamama71:

Do you live with her?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM

It's your kid - you have rights, she has privileges. Privileges can be revoked, and you need to remind her of this fact. Lay out for her what you expect when your son is spending time with her, and if she's not willing to do that, then she doesn't get to spend time with him anymore. Simple as that.

As for his father...well, unfortunately, unless you can get a judge to agree he's unfit and take away vistation, you may be stuck there. But if you truly feel he's unfit, I'd be gathering all the proof I could find and taking it to court to try to get the judge to take away, or at least order supervised, visitation.

rvb146
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rvb146
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Stop letting him go over there
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)