Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Daughter inquiring of her father...how to handle the matter?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello ladies! Good evening 

I am new to the group. I am a social work major in college and I am taking a class about group work. I joined this particular group because I myself am a single mom, and thought it might be interesting. So here goes..my daughter is 4 yrs old and her father has never been around or involved in her life. She attends preschool and some of her classmates have their dads in their lives. They are also learning about families and what consists in the family. My princess is now crying for her dad and wanting him..what do I do? It hurts..

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Check with your local library or google online books and movies on different kinds of families. And teach her that you and her are a family.

Not every family is the same and if she is asking she is ready to learn about this.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:55 PM
3 moms liked this
My mom and dad wrote a book for my son about different kinds of families it's been nice to have. DS has asked a couple times about his dad I tell him his dad was not ready to be a dad but we have our own special family and I list all the people that love him and make up our own special family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cxoxo
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

=( I'm sorry. By the rate things are going, my DD will likely be in that situation too. I dread the day she realizes that people don't just have a mommy, but a mommy and daddy =/.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I let my kids know all families look different. For us, it's just the two of them and me. Some families have two dads, some have two moms, some have only one parent, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liz402013
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 3:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Try reading the book "Do I Have a Daddy?" By Jeanne Warren Lindsey. You can also research similar books to help explain things to her through children stories. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Callaly
by Jessica on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

My ex is still in DD's life they see eachother every weekend, but DD did ask why me and her dad don't spend time with her together, shes 4 so I was able to say because we both want time alone with her so its even more specail.

When shes older and asks why we aren't together... I don't even know what I will tell her.

luvmygifts
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Awww! Poor thing! I went through that with my son. I just told him that his dad and I are happier now and things were not so good when we lived together. I told him we may have a small family or a family with no dad around but we are still a family.  I just made it age appropriate. Hope she feels better!

awesomemommy2
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Tell her the truth.
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say he wasn't ready to be a dad and leave it at that. Don't bash her dad
Caera
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM
3 moms liked this

You tell her not all families are made the same, and your family is a mommy and a daughter. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)