Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Need Sleep Advice!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have nearly two and a half year old twin girls who are absolutely HORRIBLE to get to sleep at night....to the point where I still have to drive them around 50 percent of the time which I know is not good! Here's the thing though....when they don't have a nap.....they do struggle to get some sleep but it only takes about 20-30 minutes, which I think is completely normal for a young child and is fine with me. I LOVE the way they go to bed without a nap. BUT when they don't have a nap they are SO overtired throughout the day....I know they still really need a nap. Without a nap, I'll be in the kitchen cooking dinner and they will both be under my feet just screaming and crying bloody murder. I don't want to sleep deprive them and take away my happy little girls just because its easier but we also are in desperate need of establishing better sleep patterns. I really wish I could find a happy medium.

Any advice? They'll be two and a half at the beginning of next month.

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Develop a routine bath book and bed and try to stick to it do they have their own beds? Maybe they can pick a special blanket for their bed. Routine and firmness is key
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Routine before nap and bed. Some kids need naps till about age 5. Some give it up at a year.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM

There is a theory of "the more a little one sleeps the better they sleep". 2 year olds need between 11 and 13 hours of sleep a day. Unless they are going to bed at 8 and waking up at 8, they need to be taking a nap. Even if it's only for 30-60 minutes, it can be considered "quiet time". During quiet time they are either taking a nap or reading a book. No playing, no tv nothing. If they share a room, put one in your room and one in their room. Twins together will not willingly take a nap.

lovelyhope92
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM

They do share a room. Both have their own beds though of course. We do our best to stick to a routine already. They tend to sleep from about 9 to 730-8.

lovelyhope92
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM

but that's also with waking up through the night once or twice.

hnye77
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Routine is key.  I had this issue with my girls and literally had to lie down with them until they fell asleep or they threw terrible fits.  ONe day I explained to them that I had a lot to do and that after bath and stories, I was going to let them fall asleep by them selves and that I would come back for kisses every 10 minutes.  My LO who was almost 3 threw a tantrum until 2:30 AM that night and 11:45 the next but then fell into a patter of reading in bed with a small light until she was relaxed and sleepy enough to fall asleep.  Pick a time that you are well rested and stay strong.  It isn't worth doing this type of thing halfway because you will be starting fresh every night.... good luck mama

wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Happy medium: shorten the nap. You know they still need it, but they sleep better at night without it. So you shorten it up, so they still get the nap they need, but not so much sleep that they're still wired at bedtime.

Also, routine. Even at 10 and almost 13, my boys and I have a bedtime routine: I go in with them, give hugs, kisses, we say good night in English, Italian and ASL (we homeschool and are learning Italian and ASL as foreign languages). I don't tuck them in anymore, per se, but I wait while they get settled beneath the sheets, we chat a little bit, then I turn the light off. Get a routine going for bedtime. Bath, teeth brushed, drink of water, a story or a quiet movie or whatever, and bed. Do things at the same time every night, in the same order every night, so it becomes a habit. Once it becomes a habit, their bodies will become used to it and realize that "Oh, we've done bath and brushed teeth, now it's time to sleep."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)