Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Hurry Up!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hello all, looking for some advice.  I am extremely lucky to have a great kid, and I'm a pretty laid-back parent for the most part, but there is one thing that drives me batshit insane: she does not understand the concept of hurrying.  At all.  Ever.

We don't lead a hectic life.  But sometimes, we need to hurry.  For example, in the mornings.  She has to go to school, I have to go to work, we need to brush teeth, get dressed, and go.  Every morning she takes her time to the point where we end up running late.  Getting on a coat takes five minutes.  The scarf must be thoroughly examined first.  The shoes must be waved in the air.  Things like that.  None of this is attributed to her inability to do these things; she simply does not wish to go any faster.  We could be going to Disneyworld or the dentist's office; it would be the same.  Every morning begins with, "Come on, we're going to be late.  Just get your ______ on and let's go," and ends with me apoplectic and yelling (which accomplishes nothing).  I've taken things from her (TV time, etc.) but I feel ridiculous punishing her for it.

How do you girls get your kids up and out in the mornings without throttling them?  Please, share your supermom secrets.

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd wake her up early to give her the time she needs to get ready. It sounds like she likes taking her time and doing things the way she wants to and nothing you do will change that.

ThePhantasm
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Darn it.  I was afraid of that.  I was really hoping for a magic hurry wand, because we get up early as it is.  lol

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:04 PM
I wish there was a magic hurry wand lol DS is the same way cutting out any tv in the morning has helpped a ton. We have races to see who can do things first. I've had to start earlier not fun but less stressful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Sorry no magic wand

Quoting ThePhantasm:

Darn it.  I was afraid of that.  I was really hoping for a magic hurry wand, because we get up early as it is.  lol

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Lol my son lines to take his time.. So on my phone I have our wake up alarm (he also had an alarm clock, he's 7), then 10 minutes later another alarm, then 10 minutes later another.. Each alarm he knows he has less time and if he wants to have a snack he needs to hurry..

They eat breakfast at school, but I have to drive them.. He knitted that by the 3rd alarm we need to be out the door or no breakfast..
Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM
My phone isn't nearly as smart as it thinks it is...

:-(
ThePhantasm
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Races.  I like that.

Quoting LifeCafe42: I wish there was a magic hurry wand lol DS is the same way cutting out any tv in the morning has helpped a ton. We have races to see who can do things first. I've had to start earlier not fun but less stressful.

ThePhantasm
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Love it.  I'm trying it.

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2: Lol my son lines to take his time.. So on my phone I have our wake up alarm (he also had an alarm clock, he's 7), then 10 minutes later another alarm, then 10 minutes later another.. Each alarm he knows he has less time and if he wants to have a snack he needs to hurry..

They eat breakfast at school, but I have to drive them.. He knitted that by the 3rd alarm we need to be out the door or no breakfast..

FIREFOX1336
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Have her leave the house as is whenever she hit the time to leave. Ds had to walk to the car barefoot and get his shoes on in the car. Or a couple times o you're not done eating o well I gave you a 10 and 5 minute warning has happened for us. Ds learned and does great now especially if I make sure to say 5 minutes we need to leave, one more minute grab your book bag etc
Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM
It's the only thing that works for us.. I have tried so many things.

His school counselor actually suggested this because we were too late for breakfast for over a week and I let him go without it.. Trying to tech him if we don't hurry he didn't get breakfast..

Now he understands every time am alarm goes off we need to hustle, lol..

Quoting ThePhantasm:

Love it.  I'm trying it.

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2: Lol my son lines to take his time.. So on my phone I have our wake up alarm (he also had an alarm clock, he's 7), then 10 minutes later another alarm, then 10 minutes later another.. Each alarm he knows he has less time and if he wants to have a snack he needs to hurry..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)