Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allowance

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM
  • 24 Replies

This was on a radio show today. The host said a 15 year old girl posted on his FB page that she was getting $10/week in allowance. She asked her Mother for an increase to $50/week. Mom said no. She asked her Father and he said since he gives Mom $1200 in child support she should receive the $50/week in allowance.

2 callers said the young lady needed to get a job if she wanted extra spending money for fun with friends.

Would you or have you given your 15 year old this much in allowance?

Should 15 year olds still get allowance or start working for their extra spending money?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure I will up your allowance and in return you can pay part of the bills.

At 15, I will have to see how mature my kids are. I was babysitting by that age and made plenty of money for a teen. My brother worked at rhe grocery store after school at that age for money.
DreamLoveBlooms
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I never would give more than $10 a week. All that they clean up is their own mess. I can't afford to give allowances and I would if I could afford it.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I agree. At 15 I was babysitting and cleaning houses. My brothers mowed lawns and went to work with my father who worked construction.

Quoting happymommy1105: Sure I will up your allowance and in return you can pay part of the bills.

At 15, I will have to see how mature my kids are. I was babysitting by that age and made plenty of money for a teen. My brother worked at rhe grocery store after school at that age for money.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
If my kid clearly isn't ready to work or handle money then there is no way in hell I am just gonna hand them $200 a month.

It is all about maturity in my opinion.

Quoting virginiamama71:

I agree. At 15 I was babysitting and cleaning houses. My brothers mowed lawns and went to work with my father who worked construction.

Quoting happymommy1105: Sure I will up your allowance and in return you can pay part of the bills.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I had that kind of allowance and I saved a lot of it. 50 a week was tax deductible. I had to pay "rent". Car rides to and from school were free but I had to give my mother gas money for my endeavors. Meals at home were free and at school. Anything outside of that I had to pay. I had to replace uniforms I tore or screwed up. I was expected to give to charity. I payed for internet.
maryhen
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Yes if I have the money.

my parents and the kids dad give them more than that and they are only 9.... I oppose because they honestly don't know the value of money.

TurtleMami
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:44 AM

If the dad is paying that much in CS, then yes she should get $50 a week. But mom should still be able to say that a big chunk of it goes straight into savings.

TurtleMami
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:47 AM

I would be okay with that kind of system. It teaches kids the cost of things. I had roommates who looked down on me for always being broke but splurging on fresh food. They said I didn't handle my money well, bit they were the ones still getting hefty allowances from their parents.

Quoting Elle.tea.22: I had that kind of allowance and I saved a lot of it. 50 a week was tax deductible. I had to pay "rent". Car rides to and from school were free but I had to give my mother gas money for my endeavors. Meals at home were free and at school. Anything outside of that I had to pay. I had to replace uniforms I tore or screwed up. I was expected to give to charity. I payed for internet.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I would have to know how much Mom spends on everything else before I could say she should get that much in allowance.

Quoting TurtleMami:

If the dad is paying that much in CS, then yes she should get $50 a week. But mom should still be able to say that a big chunk of it goes straight into savings.

Frances0923
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Pfffffffft my son wouldn't even dare come up to me with this crap

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)