Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support Fight

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM
  • 11 Replies

My ex found out I am going thru state to collect the child support he owes me which is close to $ 12,000. State filed a contempt on him for non-payment. He got mad and filed a contempt on me for taking our son out to Bahamas on a trip without letting him know. I did not inform him of this trip.

Am I going to be in trouble by the judge?

My ex is very irregular in paying child support, he doesn't file notice of relocation as he should when he moves place to place, yet he is disputing me taking our son on vacation.

I am really scared to go to court and very anxtious. Any advice how to overcome the fear and stay strong? I am such a nervous individual :(

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You will probably get a slap on the wrist. I would suggest to follow the court order to a tee if you expect him to do the same.

kate1903
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM
That is the thing...I have been following the parenting guidelines till this one time...he hasnt
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

no. its in the past. you obviously have a passport for him already. judge might tell you not to do it again but you arent going to get in trouble.

Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM
The judge might wonder also why he didn't complain when you first took the kid.
lazyd
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I wouldnt worry.  Failing to inform a parent that you took a child to the Bahamas is minor compared to owing $12K in CS!!!  I wouldnt care what my EX threntened and I would still file for CS & for all the back pay.  Also, look at your custody papers, see if it is stated anywhere that you have to inform your EX that you took the child on a trip?  This needs to be specifically stated in the custody papers & if its not than i wouldnt worry bout it, plus he is more in contempt for not filing all of his relocations cuz he is tryin to avoid payin CS.  

kate1903
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM
I dont have a passport...you dont need a passport for a closed loop cruise...my ex is requesting to let him know 90 days in advance about out of the country trips...we are divorced and parenting guidelines dont have such an requirement...I wouldnt have a problem with it if he paid and did his responsibilities
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM

ok then when he bring it up in court make sure the judge knows that a passport was not required, and that you ahve no problem giving him advance notice. just avoid having to get CONSENT if you can. and i think 30 days is appropriate.

Quoting kate1903: I dont have a passport...you dont need a passport for a closed loop cruise...my ex is requesting to let him know 90 days in advance about out of the country trips...we are divorced and parenting guidelines dont have such an requirement...I wouldnt have a problem with it if he paid and did his responsibilities

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not worry. You legally took the kid out of the country and Dad never complained to the courts so it looks like he just wants to retaliate. You are doing nothing wrong.

wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

If you do get in trouble, it will likely be just a short lecture on not doing it again. Under the circumstances, I'm sure the judge will see he's just being petty here, and you just make sure to let him know that you didn't even need a passport, and that he never complained until now. I wouldn't worry - but do make sure in the future that you let him know. Don't give him any ammo against you.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Tell the judge that in the future you will make sure you notify him if you will be going out of the country. Just make sure it's not written that you need his permission to do so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN