Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I over react?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM
  • 21 Replies

I bought my son a bracelet for Valentine's Day and a card. I set it up on the counter so when he goes downstairs in the  morning it's the first thing he sees. He is only 7 and half. When I got downstairs in the morning I asked him if he found his present and his response was: yeah, it's just a bracelet. It really got me upset to a point that I took the bracelet and threw it in the trash and started crying. Did I over react? He is with his dad this weekend and I feel like I made a big deal out of it instead of enjoying the morning before he goes to his dad's for 3 days. He got the point across and apologized but I was still hurt and didn't talk much and I know he knew he hurt my feelings.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluedeaj
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I think so yes, but sometimes we overreact.  I know I overreact sometimes with my brother who is the same age.  He'll actually be 8yrs next month.  He is ungrateful sometimes and it rubs me the wrong way (my daughter is 5yrs and one of the most thankful little girls ever when she receives something or someone does something for her, i've been spoiled lol).  Just make sure you apologize for your reaction to him and let him know you were just hoping he'd like the gift more, since you were thinking of him when you got it.

Akeso
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Yes you over-reacted. He's your son, not your husband substitute in any case, as you make it sound as if your boyfriend didn't react to a love gift, and because he wasn't so over-the-moon at getting a bracelet (?) you behaved like the spurned girlfriend. Sounds a bit "icky" to me. Apologize when he gets back and don't behave like he's your husband substitute again.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:53 PM

yes you over reacted

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Yes, I think you over reacted.

kate1903
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not looking for a substitute. I gave it to him purely as a gift to a son for Valentine's Day. I wasn't hysterical about it, I just weeped a bit when he acted like the gift was not good enough. It honestly hurt my feelings. I am going to stop giving materialistic things. Next time may be a home made card will have to do it.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Yeah that was an over react. Kids aren't always grateful for things.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes you over reacted. You need to apologize to your son, there is no way he should have apologized. You really need to be careful, he is at an impressionable age where he is going to start hiding his feelings from you if he is afraid he is going to hurt your feelings.

Does he like bracelets? I'm trying to figure out why you would get him a bracelet for Valetines day. 7 1/2 year olds want candy, toys and more toys. Jewelry is not high up there on their want lists usually.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Forget the materialistic crap, kids don't need presents for happiness. They need love and support, grins and giggles, silliness and knowing its okay to act a little crazy sometimes. Maybe next time think along the lines of doing something different. One thing that I have done with my kids is make crazy meals or switch them up. I'd do rice crispy treats in the shape of hearts for breakfast instead of bowls of cereal. Have dessert for dinner and dinner for dessert. That's what kids remember, they don't remember some toy or trinket, they remember the fun times.

Quoting kate1903:

I am not looking for a substitute. I gave it to him purely as a gift to a son for Valentine's Day. I wasn't hysterical about it, I just weeped a bit when he acted like the gift was not good enough. It honestly hurt my feelings. I am going to stop giving materialistic things. Next time may be a home made card will have to do it.

Frances0923
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM

lmao yes you really did over reacted. He's 7 years old, why the heck will he want a bracelet for vday.. My kid is 8 and he can care less about vday, but I got him balloons and box of chocolets and DS game that he wanted lol

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Yup you over reacted !!! Hes only 7 yrs old !! He just learning what vday is all about !!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)