Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Life style change.. I need your help/recommendations

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM
  • 25 Replies

As single moms, we are busy! I would like to make a life style change towards eating healthier and much more veggies.

I currently work out 3 to 4 times a week depending on how often I get a babysitter.

What do you do to eat healthier? Do you meal plan? Do you meal prep?

What are some of the healthier snack options you consume? (I am a snacker!)

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM
I have started by making small changes. I have a lot more to do, but I'm trying to be realistic. I cut out coffee and almost all drinks other then water.
For snacks there's apple slices, smoothies, carrot sticks, really any fruit or veggies. For dessert I really like frozen Greek yogurt bars.
Callaly
by Jessica on Feb. 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I am looking into getting a Juicer and juice 2 meals a day and have a light lunch.

I am a HUGE coffee drinker that is going to be a feat in itself to detox from, I don't think that I am fully ready for that, I think cutting out soft drinks and juices will be a good start for me (I don't drink that much of it because I prefer my coffee)

Quoting cjsmom1: I have started by making small changes. I have a lot more to do, but I'm trying to be realistic. I cut out coffee and almost all drinks other then water.
For snacks there's apple slices, smoothies, carrot sticks, really any fruit or veggies. For dessert I really like frozen Greek yogurt bars.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Just make sure you're getting the right amount of calories and nutrients.
Cutting out soda, juice, and coffee hadn't been easy. I started by eliminating soda and then cut back to one cup of coffee a day. In the morning I'll occasionally have tea with honey.

Quoting Callaly:

I am looking into getting a Juicer and juice 2 meals a day and have a light lunch.

I am a HUGE coffee drinker that is going to be a feat in itself to detox from, I don't think that I am fully ready for that, I think cutting out soft drinks and juices will be a good start for me (I don't drink that much of it because I prefer my coffee)

Quoting cjsmom1: I have started by making small changes. I have a lot more to do, but I'm trying to be realistic. I cut out coffee and almost all drinks other then water.

Callaly
by Jessica on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I am not so worried about the soda, its the coffee, I have minimum 3 a day, I am addicted, maybe I will start by putting less cream and sugar so I don't like it as much lol

Quoting cjsmom1: Just make sure you're getting the right amount of calories and nutrients.
Cutting out soda, juice, and coffee hadn't been easy. I started by eliminating soda and then cut back to one cup of coffee a day. In the morning I'll occasionally have tea with honey.

Quoting Callaly:

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Start by telling yourself you can only have 3 a say and pick the time you can have them. After a few weeks make out two, then one. It was honestly a lot easier then I thought.

Quoting Callaly:

I am not so worried about the soda, its the coffee, I have minimum 3 a day, I am addicted, maybe I will start by putting less cream and sugar so I don't like it as much lol

Quoting cjsmom1: Just make sure you're getting the right amount of calories and nutrients.

Quoting Callaly:

Callaly
by Jessica on Feb. 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats a good idea! 

I am going to go to the market tonight after work and see what kind of things that I can get veggie and fruit wise that will be better to snack on!  

Quoting cjsmom1: Start by telling yourself you can only have 3 a say and pick the time you can have them. After a few weeks make out two, then one. It was honestly a lot easier then I thought.

Quoting Callaly:

Quoting Callaly:

Frances0923
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I snack on carrots and ranch alot.. and workout religiously. I tried the food prep but didn't workout for me lol ... Ill probably try again in the near future

Callaly
by Jessica on Feb. 18, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Do you work out at home? I am not really enjoying the gym as much as I once did, its a work gym so a day like today where I had a hard time with co workers, I really DONT want to spend extra time with them in there when work is done.

I am going to try to make an onion dip with natural low fat greek yogurt.

Quoting Frances0923:

I snack on carrots and ranch alot.. and workout religiously. I tried the food prep but didn't workout for me lol ... Ill probably try again in the near future

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Exercise at home of you can. I never have time to go to the gym and am starting to do it at home. Things like squats, butt lifts, plank things that don't require any equipment.
Akeso
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I'd say cutting out the pop (soda) is a huge thing. Everyone I know who drinks coke has put on weight as well as can't quit, which is awful! Everything in moderation, so a cup of tea (or coffee) in the morning with your breakfast (cereal or whatever), a coffee or tea with your late-morning snack (I have a green tea and toast and honey), another cup of tea at lunch (a sandwich and a muffin) that I have around 2pm, and then dinner early, 5.30pm or so, and dessert of a couple cookies or something. If my tummy grumbles at 10pm I'll have a bowl of cereal but otherwise don't snack, apart from a small candy after dinner some time. On weekends my DD occasionally asks for popcorn, so that's what I make. I don't find it difficult not to snack because I'm full from the meals. I've never had a weight problem, apart from early teen puppy fat, and gorging on bakery food while travelling! Oh, dinner is almost always a veg (carrots, brocolli) with either pasta, rice or potatoes, and usually a meat. I also make salads, should make those more often. How about salads? With capers and olives and feta? Olive oil and vinegar? Make it really yummy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN