Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single Mother looking to relocate!

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM
  • 35 Replies
Hi, I have recently decided that I would like to move out of state next year before the school year starts. I have a 7 year old turning 8 later this year and next year she will be 9 going into the 4th grade. I am a single mother and most of my family lives here in Michigan. Most of my friends are moving or have moved. I am looking into moving to 1.Florida 2. California 3. Texas. In all of these states I have chosen I have no friends or close family. I have found that job opprotunities are more plentiful in these states for the field that I currently possess a degree in. I just want to know if anyone has done this and how was there experience. What was easy and what was hard? How did you find time for nightlife and dating? Also if any one has any advice on what cities to move to in the above listed states I'm interested. Thanks in advance!
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 22, 2014 at 12:41 PM

BUMP!

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I moved from California to Kentucky 4 years ago and it was the best thing I could have done. However I did not live near family, closest was 3 hours away and was never home, 2nd closest was 7 hours away. Anyways, Things to consider:

-What does dad say? Moving that far away will have a huge impact on his ability to see his daughter
-Jobs, just because they say there are a alot of jobs in your field available does not mean much. First the cost of living in California vs Michigan is a huge difference. I lived in Ventura County, an hour north of LA, my rent for a 2br apartment was 1400/mo, and that was 4 years ago. I would not move without a secure job.
- Schools, California's schools SUCK. Yes there are some good ones, but in general they are sorely lacking. If you find one that's good the rent is going to be a lot higher there than other areas.
-Family, why do you want to move away from your support system that you have had for awhile? I moved cross country on my own with no support system, but I have also been on my own since I was 18. The last time I lived close to family was 19. You want to go out, you have to pay a sitter. You get sick, who will help w/ the little one? Little one gets sick you don't have grandparents there to help.

In the end its possible, but it takes a lot of planning. You can do it, I would just suggest really nail down your reasoning for making the move.

moosesmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:27 PM
First things first...

Will you have a job lined up BEFORE you move?
SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Some very good advice here.

Quoting krisnkids:

I moved from California to Kentucky 4 years ago and it was the best thing I could have done. However I did not live near family, closest was 3 hours away and was never home, 2nd closest was 7 hours away. Anyways, Things to consider:

-What does dad say? Moving that far away will have a huge impact on his ability to see his daughter
-Jobs, just because they say there are a alot of jobs in your field available does not mean much. First the cost of living in California vs Michigan is a huge difference. I lived in Ventura County, an hour north of LA, my rent for a 2br apartment was 1400/mo, and that was 4 years ago. I would not move without a secure job.
- Schools, California's schools SUCK. Yes there are some good ones, but in general they are sorely lacking. If you find one that's good the rent is going to be a lot higher there than other areas.
-Family, why do you want to move away from your support system that you have had for awhile? I moved cross country on my own with no support system, but I have also been on my own since I was 18. The last time I lived close to family was 19. You want to go out, you have to pay a sitter. You get sick, who will help w/ the little one? Little one gets sick you don't have grandparents there to help.

In the end its possible, but it takes a lot of planning. You can do it, I would just suggest really nail down your reasoning for making the move.

lysegtwd
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM
the father is not active at all in my child's life. I'm doing all my research before up and moving. I.e. visit the cities within these states I have considered. I currently have a criminal justice degree but can't find anything in the last 3 years in MI. So I am applying for nursing program so I dont think finding a job will be exteremly hard with nursing. I want to move because I feel I have outgrown Michigan the economy sucks here and job opportunities are very far and few in between. I have been at a stand still and haven't grown or advanced here. I am in need of a change. My daughter is ready to move she is happy about the decision she is not attatched to anyone here. I don't mind paying for a babysitter when I decide to go out which is rarely but I know as far as when I first move making new friends etc it might be more then the once a month maybe not even at all outings im used to. I know I can do it and handle it because I am used to doing things independently . any cities suggested?
lysegtwd
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I will most def have a job before moving. I'm not going to up and move without any job. I'm going to make sure its secure and stable before making any moves!
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to ask what does Dad say if he is totally uninvolved, and really uninvolved, then you probably can move with no trouble.

CA in some places is outrageously expensive. Texas is my vote. Austin has one of the best economies and continuously one of the best cities to live in the US. FL? ok I guess but I would choose TX.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I suggest reasearching what the best school districts are in each state and going from there. Like any state they all have good and bad cities. California is extremely expensive.

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol I had a post just like this !!!... im from nyc but my fam had a summer house in Orlando fl ... so basically I grew up there as well... Florida is very nice and have great weather I also went to college in Tampa fl . I love both cities... i am currently in Atlanta .. do not come JOBS ARE HARD TO FIND !!...TEXAS IS WHERE I WANT TO GO SOO BAD I too have no family there but I heard it nice in Dallas and fort worth area an cheap living... and JOBS ARE PLENTIFUL THERE... well good look!!!
superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM
And TEXAS has great schools I heard as well ...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)