Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How did you feel?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM
  • 12 Replies
This week I will have my final court hearing and will be divorced. Through this long journey I've had so many mixed emotions. I feel a ton of mixed emotions about the court date. My question to you all is, how did you feel when your divorce or custody battle was finally over with? Was there anything you did to celebrate a new life?
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Mine was short an sweet. I loved "officially" being me again.
oaktreeafter
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I am going through this too. In VA you have to wait a year, and the year is up. We are in final settlement negotiations through our lawyers. It is definitely going smoother than I thought it would with settlement but my emotions are like really this is happening. I don't know how I will feel when I finally "sign". He has expressed to me he just wants this to be over already and wants to be divorced, that makes me fee l like there is someone waiting in the wings for him and that is hurtful. Men can detach so quickly. I am in reality and know its the end of us, but signing just feels like its too real and there's no going back, not like a "breakup"

And yes, I want to do something symbolic to celebrate a new chapter in my life and gaining closure. I haven't figured out what it is, but now I understand why people have "divorce parties" it is truly exhausting process and you want to celebrate that the process is over. I would like to take a trip with my girlfriends and burn all my wedding photos! LOL

steviechick
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM

It was bitter sweet for me.  Married for 26 years.  I actually cried once the judge pronounced me officially divorced.  I was alone when it happened.  The only company I had was my attorney.  I drove around for about a half hour tearing up thinking of reasons to be happy.  A divorce is like a death.  26 years of being faithful and putting up with his BS then to be treated like garbage in the end.  It's taken me three years to get over what the ex did.  Today, I feel nothing.  A loss just the same.  A loss of a father for my daughter and 26 years of wasted time spent with him.  The only thing out of my miserable marriage was the daughter we both created.

Mac4411
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM

My exhusband and I didn't have kids together. We had been seperated for over a year at that point and we had both moved on, so I was very surprised how sad I suddenly got when it was actually final.

Carolynishappy
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I've been waiting almost 5 years for ours to be final. We did uncontested. I have signed all the paperwork and he signed all but the very lastpage. He REFUSES to sign it. He's with a girl and that have a 1 year old together. They are ENGAGED but yet he won't sign the divorce papers. I have no idea how I will feel with it finally happens but I'm beginning to wonder IF it's going to happen.

*^*Carolyn*^* 

Callaly
by Jessica on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I was happy that it was all over. It was bittersweet in a way because it was over in a good way but I failed at something that I really didn't want to fail at!

Callaly
by Jessica on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I was happy that it was all over. It was bittersweet in a way because it was over in a good way but I failed at something that I really didn't want to fail at!

GremlinMom
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM
This is how I feel about it all. My final hearing is in June, a week before my birthday. He has a gf and keeps bugging me "to just get it over with." I don't want to, I need the process to deal with it. We were together 5 years and have 3 little kids together. He just up and leaves one day, disappears for months then comes back blaming me for it all. You'd think I'd want it over with fast but... I think ill cry that day too. A lot. He abandoned me after promising it was us against the world for the rest of our lives, its not easy to get over.

Quoting Callaly:

sid1083
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I was happy when I was finally divorced - it toook way too long. But I had no feelings when it came to custody (not related to my divorce).

sid1083
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I was happy when I was finally divorced - it toook way too long. But I had no feelings when it came to custody (not related to my divorce).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN