Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medications Beware

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have always been rather cautious about what medications that my children have taken over the years but I dropped the ball on this one.

My oldest daughter has some major allergy issues. Recently I have been working with an allergist to determine what they are and they have tried her on a few different medications. She has been on the most recent one for almost 3 months. The other night she was almost out and she brought the bottle down to me so I could call in a refill. She started reading the warning labels that were on the side of the bottle. One of which was that the meds could cause depression and suicidal thoughts etc. I immdiately had her stop taking them, she has been withdrawn lately and has done a few things that have made me question what was going on in her head.

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Callaly
by Jessica on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Luckily you cought it, sometimes we make mistakes with everything going on around us. Just happy that nothing horrible happened to her!

sweetspice03
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Yikes!  Glad you were able to catch that before things got bad.  I've heard of psych meds causing those side effects, but not allergy meds.  But good that I know now so I can be aware.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:24 PM
People often don't think about the side effects meds can have. People don't realize just how serious some side effects can be.
sid1083
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Depending on what the meds were originally prescribed for, I probably wouldn't stop cold turkey. Almost all prescription meds have warnings for altered mental states though.

I make sure to even read the leaflets for all new prescriptions - they only put the most common side effects or reactions on those. And even then, many of them rely on self-reporting of additional side effects once approved for the market.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Glad you caught it early. I like to research all meds I or my kids are taking or will be taking.

MomToNeeners
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:36 PM

That's with many medications. The whole point of medication is that the benefits out weight the risks.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Glad you caught it not all meds are best for everyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)