Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Snake as a Pet?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
I took my boys, 8 and 4, to the Snake Farm this weekend. They are not scared of them, and a worker there brought around a Ball Python for "show and tell". My son says he wants one for a pet. You know how kids are, they have no understanding of what it would involve. So I did some research. Maybe, but gosh they live for like 30 years. I guess you could always sell it whenever you were done with it. Have any of you ever had one/have one or known someone who took one as a pet? Do they get along with dogs?
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TAG9lbs
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Personally unless my son had some muscles and knew how to properly handle I snake, I wouldn't. It's not uncommon for those snakes to be seen hanging around someone's neck so kids want to mimic this. If he doesn't know the dangers of allowing a snake to wrap around his neck. There is a 1 in 1,000 chance of the snake choking the child, but it's a little to scary for me. I would go with a garden snake and if he does good after a moth maybe up grade. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM

We have only had a dog for pets.

I have no need for a snake in my house.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:05 PM
I would get a small snake
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM

A small snake maybe, but nothing that could eat my other pets, or strangle the kids. A lot of snakes take a lot of work, and a lot of space.

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Small snake, yes. Let him work his way up. 

BQuin
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I wouldn't start with a small snake, but that's because their behavior can be different.

http://www.gareptilesociety.org/

There is a website that might be helpful. My friend is one of the people who runs it, and they have loads of members. My five year old was able to hold a couple of snakes, and we helped with lots of reptiles when we lived with said friend :) The more you research, the better! Also my friend has two corgis, so I see no reason a dog would be a bad thing

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Those things grow to 5 feet long.   That's too big for young kids, IMO.  

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM
No snakes in my house lol remember 30 years is a long time be prepared for it to be yours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM
They have small ones that grow to be about a foot long (small in the snake world) at PETCO if you actually want one in your house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)