Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

why shouldn't they pay?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM
  • 71 Replies
1 mom liked this

It shocks me that some women don't go after their children's father's for child support. I think if a guy father's a child they should be held responsible for having to pay child support. Do you agree? Why? Why not? 

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:20 PM
I agree! I filed for divorce and child support the same day.
pinklove0015
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM

That's good! That is the way it should be. It just shocks me when women don't think it's worth it to go after them for CS. I think its crazy that they think that. 

Quoting diaperstodating: I agree! I filed for divorce and child support the same day.

idomatter
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM

It's so much easier on the father if you do take action sooner, since at some point we do end up filing for the back support owed and by then they're in arrears for thousands of dollars. The women who do this may think they're doing good to the kid's father but they're not in my opinion. Who wants to be forty-something and bringing home $32.00 paychecks because they're paying arrearages?

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM
3 moms liked this

I never went after my ex for child support and don't plan on doing it. He is an active part of ds's life and that's more important to me then any amount of money. If I asked him for money he would give it to me, I rarely ask though.

If you and your ex get along and can work out an agreement yourselves then I see no reason to involve the court.

pinklove0015
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Thats great that your child's father is in your child's life but its not just your responsibility to financially support the child. It's wrong. Also I don't agree with agreeing outside of court because the judge can decide a fair amount. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

I never went after my ex for child support and don't plan on doing it. He is an active part of ds's life and that's more important to me then any amount of money. If I asked him for money he would give it to me, I rarely ask though.

If you and your ex get along and can work out an agreement yourselves then I see no reason to involve the court.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My job requires me to live-in so I'm gone two and a half days a week. His dad watches him the enitre time and if I'm on doubles he has him for the week. If he wasn't around I wouldn't be able to work because daycare would never keep him that long. He also watches him when I work my other job. He's been there everyday school lets out early or it's cancelled. This is much more important and valuable to me then the $0 I'd get from court since he works off the books. If I'm willing to accept all the financially responsibility then it's a decision I've made. I don't agree with "screwing" your ex just because you're not together. I believe when adults can get along and do it on their own it's more benificial then running to court all the time.

Quoting pinklove0015:

Thats great that your child's father is in your child's life but its not just your responsibility to financially support the child. It's wrong. Also I don't agree with agreeing outside of court because the judge can decide a fair amount. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Should a father always pay support? No because often parents have joint custody and equal parenting time and similar incomes. Sometimes child support just does not apply. Many times in equal shared parenting the father covers the kids on insurance too so he gets a credit for that. Support does not apply all the time but yes there are many moms out there who choose not to file or ask for it even when the father is never around. Being a father does not mean he is an ATM especially if he has a lot of parenting time and incomes are similar.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM

For some it would be a wash because of joint custody. I am all for the custodial parent getting child support, does not matter if it is mom or dad.

pinklove0015
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

The custodial parent whether mom or dad should get cs. 

Quoting krisnkids:

For some it would be a wash because of joint custody. I am all for the custodial parent getting child support, does not matter if it is mom or dad.

SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My child's father doesn't pay child support. I didn't go after him for it because we get along and he usually takes our daughter every weekend, and is good about watching her other times when I need him to as well. Going to court would probably change that, as he would be pissy with me.

He barely makes any money and gets paid in cash, so even if he had court ordered child support he wouldn't legally have to pay much, and he'd probably never have the money to pay it so he'd just end up owing a debt he'd never pay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)