Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if a man could opt out of parenthood?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

If a man could opt out of parenthood and not be help responsible then wouldn't there be a lot of men choosing this? They could claim they wanted the child as much as the mother but then choose to opt out when they know they would have the right to sign their rights over?

I think if men had this right to not be held responsible then that would make the abortion rate go up even higher.

Agree? disagree? 

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:57 AM
13 moms liked this

Well that's what most of them do now. There are plenty of men that although ordered to pay child support...they still don't do it. I don't think a man not doing what he's supposed to do has any bearing on the abortion rate. Women abort for many different reasons...not just because the man doesn't wanna take care of his responsibility.   

raegan1221
by Raegan on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM
I tend to agree but its not just men. .. its women. There are plenty of women who've willingly given up or abandoned their children. My fiancee and I currently have full custody of his dd. Her mom signed over custody and moved across the country over a year ago. She hasnt seen her since.
honey27
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM

i agree plus there would be alot of fatherless kids.

LilMamaK
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Agree with PP. It can go either way.

Mommy to a beautiful daughter (7.5.08), Stepmom to an amazing son(6.5.07), and Angel baby boy(3.6.10)

jessi2girls
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM

very much agree.

it's part of why abortions rates are so high now.

ANd this is why men need to start being more responsible over their own sex lives, and stop placing most of the responsibility on women.

amber3902
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm confused by your statements, esp this - "They could claim they wanted the child as much as the mother but then choose to opt out when they know they would have the right to sign their rights over."

I don't see how that would make the abortion rates go up even higher - it would be too late to have an abortion in that case. 

Are you saying if men were not held responsible for the child they created, ex. did not have to pay child support, then more women would choose to abort, knowing they would not get CS for the child? 

Theoretically, yes, I think the number of abortions would increase in that senario.  I know plenty of women that go ahead and have babies even though the man doesn't want the child, because the woman knows she'll get CS no matter what.  There probably would be more abortions if women knew they weren't guarenteed CS for 18 years.  Some women use CS as a way to support themselves instead of getting a job.

And I say that as a woman that is pro-choice.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I think that could go either way.

bluedeaj
by Deidre on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM

There is much more that needs to be made clear about this type of thing before it would ever become 'legal' in a sense.  What about a point of no return, do they have until the birth of their child to make the decision whether to be the father or not?  Are they able to decide at any point in the child's life to decide not to be held responsible anymore, without a consequence?  I mean, can they decide when the kid is 10yrs old "nevermind, I don't want to be a dad.  go ahead and take my rights away".  IF they have to make that decision before the woman is say, 3 months pregnant, than sure, I can see the abortion rate going a little higher.  But otherwise, I don't see it having a significant affect on abortion itself.  Just an affect (possibly) on the amount of children in the foster care system.

And also, if this WAS to become some sort of legislature than the woman needs to have the same rights to be able to terminate rights.  But I mean, aren't women able to bring the newborn to the hospital or leave him/her there with no questions asked?  Maybe that's a state specific thing.

pinklove0015
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I imagine there are a lot of women having abortions because they cannot afford to raise a baby without the help of the fathers. 

Quoting jessi2girls:

very much agree.

it's part of why abortions rates are so high now.

ANd this is why men need to start being more responsible over their own sex lives, and stop placing most of the responsibility on women.

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I'm sure if they had been pregnant quite a few men would have aborted the babies that are now here because the mom was pregnant not them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)