Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

fs(food stamps) does not mean ur rich..

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:29 AM
  • 89 Replies
2 moms liked this
it burns my ass wen ppl say "oh u get fs "..and act like that i got it made now.. fs does not pay bills,gas,daycare,Rx or even diapers..it just buys food..nothing else.and we have nothing besides fs. we have no extra money .cant do crap becase we are to broke .fs are just for food..
so ppl get of or ur soap box and open ur eyes .ppl on fs or pa are ppl to..
hopefully one day u wont have to be on pa/fs and have to deal wth ppl saying shit and acting like thar so much better than u becase u get help.

vent over..
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RainyMorning28
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm with you. It helps you feed your family. The only thing that annoys me is when others run out and then have no food (if you quilify for the max) then your doing something wrong.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM
13 moms liked this

I do not like hearing our clients who receive FS call and tell us that they need more. We have to keep reminding them that it is a supplement and should not be their only means to get their food.

SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM
7 moms liked this

last I checked you had to be under a certain income level to even get food stamps, so I don't see why people would assume you're well off.

I do get where people are coming from when they see people with FS buying carts overflowing with soda, boxed dinners, etc.

I'm not against food assistance for people who need it, but I think the program could use an overhaul.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

So many are ignorant of the reality of it.  Most ppl don't get it until something happens and the'd have to use them to eat. 

friendlymom5
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM
5 moms liked this
One nice thing our local store is doing is putting out a mixed box of meats for $100 on food stamp day. It has beef, chicken, and pork. I can't remember the exact amount but its enough to feed my family of 5 all month.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM
5 moms liked this

I get so tired of people judging others. What business is it of someone's how I pay for diapers or dinner? Food stamps or credit card? I had a friend of mine knock people on fb how someone in front of her was paying for the groceries with fs and had a coach purse and boots. Well hell, who knows if she was shopping for herself or was doing a favor for someone at her church. Or God forbid, she is a foster parent and is shopping for groceries with what is provided for her to use for her foster kids.

lunyuny
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Some are and some are not. It is the ones who live off the system that cause this out look on all who use it for the help it was intended for
Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

There are some people that abuse it. Don't go shopping with your food stamps when you have a coach purse. It looks ridiculous.

SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM
8 moms liked this

How do you know the Coach purse wasn't a gift, donation, or a fake?

Just so you know, I have a friend who worked at a shelter for young, homeless mothers. They would get donations on almost a weekly basis of designer clothing/shoes/purses. Those girls didn't pay for that stuff, or ask for it, it was given to them freely by people who have money and wanted to donate it.

Also, curious how people even know when someone is using their food stamp card, you really pay that much attention to what the person next to you is paying with that you can see it's specifically a food stamp card?

Idk, I could care less what someone looks like or what they're wearing or what kind of car they're driving. My passion with the issue lies with making sure if the government is basically providing the money/food, then the food allowed should be nutrient-rich/healthy, and education should be provided to help teach people to make better choices.

That's all.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

There are some people that abuse it. Don't go shopping with your food stamps when you have a coach purse. It looks ridiculous.

RonaH
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I'm not on FS but I wouldn't care what people thought of what I was wearing or driving. Its my business.IMO People have too much time on their hands if they are trying to figure out my life story at the checkout line.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)