Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Break ups and Facebook...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:15 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this
Even though I've been split from my ex for months now, I still haven't made it "facebook official" by change my status from engaged to single. Only our clos friends and family know we've split up. Everyone else will probably be shocked because we were high school sweethearts, together for 8 years and I only posted about our happy moments.
Or people just won't give a sh*t :p haha.

I also feel like the black sheep of the family now. My sister just got married and had a baby..things are perfect with her. My other sister has been married 5 years, has two kids and is buying a home. And I'm the one becoming a single mom. It's embarrassing!!

What what's everyone's reaction to your break up/divorce?
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluedeaj
by Deidre on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't make a huge announcement.  I told people as I chose to.  But, we had been married for 7yrs before splitting.  It surprised everyone that I DID tell as I told them.  They don't know all of the reasons behind the split, but I don't make completely rash decisions so they know that I have my reasons.  The day we left the courthouse after finishing all filing my ex changed his fb status and posted about being divorced now.  So all of our mutual friends were messaging me with "omg what happened?! I had no idea!" type of stuff.  Yea, I had no idea he was going to make a public post about it either lol.

The day of our divorce I removed my relationship status on fb.  you can do that if you'd like, have it NOT list relationship status.  I actually just recently changed it to divorced, it's been about 6months since things were finalized.  I also have it so it does not list it as divorced on my fb profile.  I just don't feel like having it out there like that.  Heck, I think there are still friends on my fb that don't know I'm divorced, and that's the way I like it.  I like that I didn't make this huge to-do for everyone on the planet to know that my marriage ended.  If we talk, they find out.  Simple as that.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM
I started dating my ex husband in high school to, we have four kids together. I never changed my relationship status on Facebook, like Deidre I had it removed from my page.

ETA:
If you know me you know my relationship status.
SnapIt
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM
They werent shocked

He had cheated a few yrs prior and i stayed to work on things
My family knows me. If you do me wrong, i will write you off. Cant be bothered, lose interest.

They know im a strong person and i dont depend on anyone nor would i sit and cry my life away and throw pity parties. (Well for a couple of months until the shock wore off lol)
So it wasnt a surprise to them when i picked up and moved along. Neither with his family.
They all know i have a huge heart, lots of patience and would give you the shirt off my back, but not when you chose to hurt me.

I never filled in my status
If you know me you know my relationship status
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Bump
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM
I think I would just choose not to have it visible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I changed my relationship ststus, and changed the visibility of it. No one has noticed, and I am fine with that.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM
I took mine down when going through my divorce and won't put it back up if I ever get in another relationship. Too many people put stock into FB and what's going on on there…selective self-reporting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SABRINA_29
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM
I didn't have a chance to process everything. He told me I want to get divorced. Next thing I know he's deleted me off his Facebook friends. He cut all ties to me from the start. No exact explanation why, he couldn't give me a good reason. Wouldn't talk to me. I cried I am still getting over it and its been since 2011. I got married young but I truly loved him and I honestly felt like we would be together forever.
wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM

When I divorced my ex, Facebook was still only for college kids, so it wasn't an issue on there.

When I broke up with my ex-boyfriend, he decided to make it a public fight on Facebook. We fought and then I immediately deleted all of that, changed my status, and everyone just kind of ignored it. Because he decided to argue with me on Facebook, I laid out exactly why I was leaving him - so I guess everyone just kind of figured they already knew what had happened, so there was no real reason to rehash it and bring it up to me. My reltaionship status shows that I'm single, and even if I met someone, I probably won't change it again unless I get married.

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM

My family threw me a party. 

(ok, not really, but they might as well have because they were happy as hell when I said I was done and was going to leave him)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)