Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Why is it making me feel this way?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM
  • 42 Replies

My birthday is this coming weekend, I will be 25 and I am pretty depressed about it. I have been married/divorced, had a child and then had to move back home. I am finally getting back on my feet, cleared all my debt, and will be moving with my SO and DD this July, but I just feel like based on society as of 25 you should be settled, owning a house, have kids, married and I am behind.

This birthday is making me feel so depressed.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM
3 moms liked this

Not everyone will be where society expects them to be.

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this
You are where YOU are supposed to be! It may not be where you planned or hoped to be at this place in your life, however this is the path you were led down and now it is yours to explore.
LilMamaK
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Happy birthday!!! Who cares about society hun! Everyone's lives are different and every situation is different! You can't live your life based of what society says it should be each year! Be proud of your self for paying debt off and getting back on your feet! Be proud of letting go of a loser and finding a great guy! Screw society and live your life!

Mommy to a beautiful daughter (7.5.08), Stepmom to an amazing son(6.5.07), and Angel baby boy(3.6.10)

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh hell no. I'm 40 and I don't own a house. Don't worry about what society says, there is no "norm" anymore. People are getting the bachelor's degrees at 40, going back to school at 50, waiting til 40 to have kids. Enjoy your life and your successes. Not to mention your adorable little girl.

Callaly
by Jessica on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Thank you for the kind words, I can't help but just want the day to be over with and continue day to day life!

Quoting LilMamaK:

Happy birthday!!! Who cares about society hun! Everyone's lives are different and every situation is different! You can't live your life based of what society says it should be each year! Be proud of your self for paying debt off and getting back on your feet! Be proud of letting go of a loser and finding a great guy! Screw society and live your life!

Callaly
by Jessica on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM

You have a good point! Thank you :) I am going to try to just enjoy it.

Quoting krisnkids:

Oh hell no. I'm 40 and I don't own a house. Don't worry about what society says, there is no "norm" anymore. People are getting the bachelor's degrees at 40, going back to school at 50, waiting til 40 to have kids. Enjoy your life and your successes. Not to mention your adorable little girl.

Callaly
by Jessica on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Thank you! I just did everything backwords lol but you live and you learn!

Quoting grneyedormom: You are where YOU are supposed to be! It may not be where you planned or hoped to be at this place in your life, however this is the path you were led down and now it is yours to explore.

LilMamaK
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:59 AM

My b-day was the 1st, I felt the same way! Trust me! I was more excited for the kids to be able to blow my candles out and go out to eat with me... but that night I fell apart. I was depressed and upset because I turned 27 and felt like I was crap compaired to other 27 year old moms. But, I realized, where I am now and who I have in my life is an amazing step FORWARD compaired to two years ago!

Quoting Callaly:

Thank you for the kind words, I can't help but just want the day to be over with and continue day to day life!

Quoting LilMamaK:

Mommy to a beautiful daughter (7.5.08), Stepmom to an amazing son(6.5.07), and Angel baby boy(3.6.10)

Callaly
by Jessica on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Happy belated birthday! Its true we need to focus on the positive and how far we have come rather then what we had planned.

I would have thought that I would have been done having babies and owned a house. I did own a house with my ex but we sold when we split. I was finally divorced in 2013 after 3 years of hell and courts. So it should be a good year I hope.

Quoting LilMamaK:

My b-day was the 1st, I felt the same way! Trust me! I was more excited for the kids to be able to blow my candles out and go out to eat with me... but that night I fell apart. I was depressed and upset because I turned 27 and felt like I was crap compaired to other 27 year old moms. But, I realized, where I am now and who I have in my life is an amazing step FORWARD compaired to two years ago!

Quoting Callaly:

Quoting LilMamaK:

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to be 38 in 2 weeks, I had my daughter, got divorced when she was 5 months old, went back to college, graduated with my Bachelor's degree at 32, got my first truly professional job at 33 (just hit 5 years with my agency yesterday), bought a house with my parents 3 years ago, and have had a string of craptastic relationships and I'm proud of where I am today. So don't look at things in a negative light, look at them from a perspective of that's where I was, and this is where I am going. Watch out world...Jessica's on her way!

Quoting Callaly:

Thank you! I just did everything backwords lol but you live and you learn!

Quoting grneyedormom: You are where YOU are supposed to be! It may not be where you planned or hoped to be at this place in your life, however this is the path you were led down and now it is yours to explore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)