Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Scool or Work

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
  • 16 Replies

I'm a single mother. My kids are sick I stay home. They never see there "father" (he left us yrs ago). I have no to pick up my kids if they are sick. I work, I have a great job.  make great money (sadly not enough, i still need assistance). My kids are all in school. So if I get offered to work an extra shift. I try and take it, the only down fall is that, the school system we belong to is walking school district. The sitter that they go to is in the same town only way to far for them to be walking by them selves. I'm currently working on a rough draft to the school system to at least have some transportaion for those who get extra hours, who don't have anyone else, or for an emergancy, to transport them to or from school. I always end up pulling them out of school about 90 mins early, so that I can take them to the sitter so that I can work.  I feel horriable when I it, When I call and tell the school that I'll pick them up. they ask why. I tell them oh I got a chance to pick a shift at work, and my kids aren't allowed (8, 10, 11(SN))to walk the three miles across town to daycare. they say ok. Does anyone else have to do this? Do you feel bad? To you try to get them to make an exception?

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

It sucks but I really do not think that is a valid reason to be missing 90 minutes of school. Too much of that is going to put you with unexcused absences and you will find yourself dealing with truancy laws. I would suggest only picking up extra shifts on weekends and look for a more convenient sitter. It is doubtful that the school will do much to help, school districts are cutting expenses as much as they can. You might be able to get help with your special needs child but the other two would not qualify most likely.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I don't have to deal with this myself.

I would try to keep the kids in school as much as possible. Could you find a closer sitter? Would your current sitter be able to transport sometimes? Do you have a network of friends, or anyone who could help out with transportation sometimes? Not knowing your job, is it one where you could transfer to a different location?

RainyMorning28
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I'm a home health adie, I also work in the same town. I can only have a state cert. day care provider, plus they have to be able to take children w/ sprecial needs, for my son. THe sitter can't transport for many reasons. I have only done it once. THe few friends I have work and my family is not that willing to help.

Quoting sid1083:

I don't have to deal with this myself.I would try to keep the kids in school as much as possible. Could you find a closer sitter? Would your current sitter be able to transport sometimes? Do you have a network of friends, or anyone who could help out with transportation sometimes? Not knowing your job, is it one where you could transfer to a different location?

LilMamaK
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM

That's crazy! I'm lucky with my ids school. They offer extended day, have you looked into that at their school? My kids go to the same school as my niece and nephew, so, my kids car pool with them and my mom watches them till I get off work. I hope something gets worked out hun! I can't imagine the stress that has to cause!

Mommy to a beautiful daughter (7.5.08), Stepmom to an amazing son(6.5.07), and Angel baby boy(3.6.10)

Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Is there a reason that the sitter can't pick them up from school?  

RainyMorning28
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:55 PM

The day care provider, has other childern she has to care for. It is against state regulations for her to transport my kids. When I get the chance I'm sadly always thier last option becasue they know I pull my kids out, to work to provide for my kids. When I do though I work till 8:00. so the after school program wouldn't work that is only till 5:00.

Quoting Nisha929:

Is there a reason that the sitter can't pick them up from school?  

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:22 PM

What are your work hours?

RainyMorning28
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I I get 10-15 hours a week. Sat 5 hrs, Sun 5 hrs, and typically everyother friday.

Sat 11-4 , Sun 8-1, Fri 3-8. On a day like today I would have needed to be thier for  2. My kids are out at 3 and 330. They don't all go to the same school.

Quoting virginiamama71:

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM

During summer break will they go with the same babysitter?

If so maybe you can take the extra hours than so they do not have to be taken out of school early except on Friday.

Quoting RainyMorning28:

I I get 10-15 hours a week. Sat 5 hrs, Sun 5 hrs, and typically everyother friday.

Sat 11-4 , Sun 8-1, Fri 3-8. On a day like today I would have needed to be thier for  2. My kids are out at 3 and 330. They don't all go to the same school.

Quoting virginiamama71:

RainyMorning28
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

They will go to the same sitter while I'm working my home health adie job. My summer job wich I'm going to start soon is also 15 hours a week. They will be attending a day camp.Which is perfect 30hrs total every week and time with my kids. I can't wait for summer.

Quoting virginiamama71:

During summer break will they go with the same babysitter?

If so maybe you can take the extra hours than so they do not have to be taken out of school early except on Friday.

Quoting RainyMorning28:

Quoting virginiamama71:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN