Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I'm mean mommy

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM
  • 14 Replies

According to my dd I am mean because I yell and when I yell I hurt her feelings. I don't mean to yell but sometimes it is necssary . She say sash wants to move with my parents but I am her mommy. They let her do whatever she wants like most grandparents. I don't want to yell. But sometimes I get frustrated and I do . 

How do you handle not yelling at your kids? 

I need a break but there is no break when you a single parent. 

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyStarLight
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:22 AM
Im a single parent
Its not easy but oh well
We deal with it
I just walk away when I want to yell
And if I do yell I explain why I yelled
Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:33 AM

I yell at mine sometimes and honestly, I don't apologize for it because sometimes it's necessary. Sometimes that is the only way that they respond. I avoid it when I can by going in my room and closing the door or having them go in their rooms. Everyone gets frustrated from time to time. You yelling sometimes doesn't make you a bad mother.

Callaly
by Jessica on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:18 AM

I had this issue with DD, she is 4. I would get stressed out (mostly in the mornings) and I would sometimes yell at her, she would tell me that she didn't like me yelling and that it made her very mad and sad, I told her that if she would listen to me the first time then I wouldn't yell... Its worked for us!

Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
My son told me I'm a bully for putting him in time out.
We gotta do what we gotta do sometimes. If we aren't mean sometimes we aren't doing our jobs.
SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is very sensitive to yelling. It's something I noticed and I just made a choice to try to change that about myself. It's hard, I just try to think before I act and talk things out with her instead.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I use to yell but divorce took care of it.

And now when I feel like the pressure is going to be there, I put myself in time out.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM

I yell a lot. I have no diea how to stop

momof4kids257
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:42 AM

I have a breaking point like everyone else and when the urge to yell comes about... I think about what I sound like from my child's point of view and that calms me down.I bend down to their level and look eye to eye and talk calmly and say this isn't grandma's house this is our house.You will do what I say and that is it.If you want to be mad at me talk to me instead...maybe we can figure out how to make it where your not mad at me anymore.If you help me... I will help you.

one_on_the_way
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually don't yell unless I feel it is necessary...like if I asked him to do something (or stop doing something) multiple times, and he isn't listening.  Mornings can be the toughest b/c we have to get out of the house in time for me to get to work on time.  When I feel myself getting to the point I may yell, I tell him "I'm feeling frustrated, because you aren't helping me right now.  If you don't cooperate with getting ready, I'm going to have to yell.  I really don't want to yell, so I hope you make a good choice and listen to what I need you to do right now."  That usually gets him moving.  It's almost like giving him the choice...."You can either listen to me, and help, or I will yell."  If he doesn't listen to me, and I yell....well, that's his choice. 

JuliaMom45
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:59 AM

It's your job to be a mean mom..

Children have to know where tha line is, and you have to be strict.

By this I in NO way mean you hit them.

BUT.. A no is a no.....

And yes.. Don't yell.....

I have had friends who had morningdebats about what to wear with a 4 - 6 year old child.

That is SO the way to raise children who from small have been spoiled

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN