Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

End of Life Wishes

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

On Dear Abby today a man wrote how he is nearing the end of his life and wanted to have a poem that she had posted years ago. The poem is below and I absolutely love it. I am seriously thinking of doing the same. What are your plans (if any)? I know for some it may be a morbid thought, but I wouldn't want my children to have to worry about what I would have wanted.

"At a certain moment a doctor will determine that my brain has ceased to function and that, for all intents and purposes, my life has stopped.

"When that happens, do not attempt to instill artificial life into my body by the use of a machine. And don't call this my 'deathbed.' Call it my 'bed of life,' and let my body be taken from it to help others lead fuller lives.

"Give my sight to a man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby's face or love in the eyes of a woman.

"Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused nothing but endless days of pain.

"Give my blood to the teenager who has been pulled from the wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his grandchildren play.

"Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week.

"Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.

"Explore every corner of my brain. Take my cells, if necessary, and let them grow so that someday a speechless boy will shout at the crack of a bat and a deaf girl will hear the sound of rain against her windows.

"Burn what is left of me and scatter the ashes to the winds to help the flowers grow.

"If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weaknesses and all my prejudice against my fellow man.

"Give my soul to God. If by chance you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you. If you do all I have asked, I will live forever."

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM

the same he asks for I will ask for too.

Love this part the most

If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weaknesses and all my prejudice against my fellow man.

"Give my soul to God. If by chance you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you. If you do all I have asked, I will live forever."

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Same here, people say they want to live forever. In many ways we do by the memories and what we have instilled in our children.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Love this part the most

If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weaknesses and all my prejudice against my fellow man.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly...show the best that you are and it will stay here for others to reflect on when you are gone.

Quoting krisnkids:

Same here, people say they want to live forever. In many ways we do by the memories and what we have instilled in our children.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Love this part the most

idomatter
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I've got my older sister's wishes on paper-she just sent them to me. She has Parkinson's disease, stage 4, so she wants her brain to go to research on that. She wants cremation and her remaining ashes to be sprinkled into the ocean/bay she most loves to do her fishing.

My mom wants her remains to go to medical research. She is 75 and saving for her funeral (doesn't have life insurance).

I haven't put my final wishes on paper yet. I have life insurance, plenty for my kids to be taken care of in the event of my untimely death.

Because I am in the legal field, death is not a morbid topic to me. I've seen the mess that can be left to your heirs if you don't have the proper legal paperwork in place.

Nisha929
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I enjoyed reading the poem. I haven't talked about what I want and right now I just can't do it. My mom tried telling me what she wanted but I didn't want to hear it. My dad knows though. My daughter (13) said she wanted her funeral to be black and white. I really didn't wanna hear that because I can't fathom having to bury another child.  

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM

That's really nice.

I want to donate my organs to someone who can use them and then donate my body to science. I absolutely don't want to be buried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)