Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

5 1/2 hr flight with a 1 1/2 yr old?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM
  • 15 Replies

So, I live in Hawaii and I'm taking my son on a vacation to California. I'm so excited for all but one part... The flight(s). :/

Do you ladies have any advice for traveling alone on long flights with toddlers? What should I make sure to bring?!

P.S. - Someone else bought my ticket, and being that he is under 2, he will be on "my lap". I am praying that it is an empty flight (or that there are empty seats in the back).

I posted this in another group and for some reason, women were being incredibly rude stating that I should have bought him his own seat. I'm not rich, and my son is tiny. I'm gonna take my chances. :P

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Bring the stroller to the gate, they can check it for you at the gate.

Use the baggage carts, they are a life saver.

Snacks, snacks, snacks and more snacks

New silly toys to play with, preferably quieter type so it doesn't drive fellow passengers nuts. Toy airplanes are pefect for the first plane trip.

Don't be afraid to ask the flight attendants for something, they are usually happy to accomodate.

If he uses a pacifier, bring extras. They always disappear.

You can ask at the ticket counter if the flight is full, if it's not then bring the car seat to the gate. If it is full then check the car seat. If you can get the front row seat, get it. Extra leg room makes life a little easier.

Check with his pediatrician about motion sickness medication for him. See if he is old enough. There is nothing worse than being 30,000 feet up and a child puking.

TianaH808
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Thank you! I don't know if I can manage a baggage cart, as I am travelling alone and I will have to push the stroller too... or can I? Hehe, Maybe there's a technique I'm unaware of! ;) New toys are a great idea & I will be sure to bring a couple of bottles. Unfortunately he wont take a paci.

You mentioned bringing the carseat to the gate if the flight is empty? Should I do this even if he will be on my lap?

Thanks again!

Quoting krisnkids:

New silly toys to play with, preferably quieter type so it doesn't drive fellow passengers nuts. Toy airplanes are pefect for the first plane trip.

Don't be afraid to ask the flight attendants for something, they are usually happy to accomodate.

You can ask at the ticket counter if the flight is full, if it's not then bring the car seat to the gate. If it is full then check the car seat. If you can get the front row seat, get it. Extra leg room makes life a little easier.

Check with his pediatrician about motion sickness medication for him. See if he is old enough. There is nothing worse than being 30,000 feet up and a child puking.

SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM

The flight from Hawaii to CA is relatively short isn't it? The PP had good suggestions.

I did a 4+ hour flight, then ran through the airport to catch the connecting flight from Vegas to Phoenix (another hour or so) and then the same flight reversed, with my 5 year old for her first time flying ever, and she did so well.

We just sat in the back (close to the bathroom for her) and she had an iPad that kept her busy most of the time.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I've traveled cross country with a 18mo & 3 y/o . . . you can do it! If you aren't using an umbrella stroller, strap your kid in the stroller, then flip the carseat upside down over the part between the handles (sorry, no beverage room anymore). Then you have one hand to push the stroller and a hand to drag your bag.

Otherwise you can go Rambo-style and have two duffle style bags and cross them across your body to carry them to free your hands. Gate-check on the stroller and carseat should be free. 

Quoting TianaH808:

Thank you! I don't know if I can manage a baggage cart, as I am travelling alone and I will have to push the stroller too... or can I? Hehe, Maybe there's a technique I'm unaware of! ;) New toys are a great idea & I will be sure to bring a couple of bottles. Unfortunately he wont take a paci.

You mentioned bringing the carseat to the gate if the flight is empty? Should I do this even if he will be on my lap?

Thanks again!

Quoting krisnkids:

RonaH
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Snacks! When my daughter was little I would buy a new toy or game and hide it and not give it to her until we were on the plane. Since it was new it usually distracted her for a good amount of time.Make sure you carry on an extra set of clothes, she barfed all over herself once! Does your kid chew gum (may be a little early I'm not sure)? If so bring some and give it to him on take off and landing. If not give him a bottle or sippy it helps with the pressure on the ears.

TianaH808
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Wow! You're brave! :D

Unfortunately I have a citymini stroller (it looks like a mini jogging stroller), so the idea to flip over the carseat (which is brilliant, by the way) won't work for me! :( Hopefully I can manage to use my diaper bag as my "purse", and I'll bring a backpack as my "carry-on". My diaper bag has these nifty clips on either side which allow me to hang it from the back of my stroller, freeing  up my hands. Then I can muscle the carseat up to the gate! Haha, sounds easier than I'm sure it is! I'll have to see if I will even need to bring it to the gate as I am traveling during spring break, so (unfortunately) the flight will probably be packed.

My only hope is that because I am leaving Hawaii, rather than coming, at the beginning of spring break when everyone is arriving, the flight will be less packed. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thank you for your advice!!!!!

Quoting sid1083:

I've traveled cross country with a 18mo & 3 y/o . . . you can do it! If you aren't using an umbrella stroller, strap your kid in the stroller, then flip the carseat upside down over the part between the handles (sorry, no beverage room anymore). Then you have one hand to push the stroller and a hand to drag your bag.Otherwise you can go Rambo-style and have two duffle style bags and cross them across your body to carry them to free your hands. Gate-check on the stroller and carseat should be free. 

Quoting TianaH808:

Thanks again!

Quoting krisnkids:

TianaH808
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I will definitely bring snacks, though unfortunately for me, my son isn't really a snacker. :/ Most of the time he just ends up throwing them all over the place... but hey, if it keeps him busy, i'll let it happen (and clean it up later of course). He is only 1 1/2, so gum isn't an option yet, as he doesn't understand what to do with it. I will be sure to keep a "milky baba" handy for the take off & landing!

Thank you for your advice!!!

Quoting RonaH:

Snacks! When my daughter was little I would buy a new toy or game and hide it and not give it to her until we were on the plane. Since it was new it usually distracted her for a good amount of time.Make sure you carry on an extra set of clothes, she barfed all over herself once! Does your kid chew gum (may be a little early I'm not sure)? If so bring some and give it to him on take off and landing. If not give him a bottle or sippy it helps with the pressure on the ears.

proudmother5946
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM
I traveled with my son from Indiana to Alaska when he was 17months. He was so good, he slept most of the way. Did it again when he was 27 months. I brought red licorice for him to suck on. He wouldn't take a binky (pacifier)?
BQuin
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM

With the bottles, make sure he is ready for one by the time the plane is about to take off, but obviously not getting too fussy :) It will help keep the ears from popping similar to the gum effect. Same with when the plane is ready to land. I had a big duffle bag I was allowed to use as a diaper bag and filled with plenty of diapers, clothes, formula, toys, etc. Teething toys are good, and like the previous have said, new toys are great. I've done a 15 hour flight with my 6 month old on my lap, even though we booked for our own seats [ She was supposed to be in a bassinet but the flight messed up and put me in a different seat.. ANYWAY.. ], if the seat next to you is free, the attendants won't be mad if you need to sit him down after you're in the air and the seat buckle sign is off, since you'll still be watching him :) Don't fret, you can do it!

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Snacks, crayons, quiet toys, a computer with games

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN