Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do you meet men?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM
  • 13 Replies
I am 38 and have a 10 year old dd and 5 year old ds. I met my stbx when we were 18 (last few weeks of high school) and married him 5 years later. Up until Dec 29th of last year I thought we would be together forever.

Stbx cheated on me and is still with her. He says he is happy and I made him unhappy. I don't think I am ready to start dating but I am open to the idea of meeting someone.

So how do you go about meeting available nice guys at my age?
How did you meet your BF/SO?
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm happily single.

I usually meet guys in bars, because I like to go have adult beverages and listen to music in public... but I'm not there looking for relationships.

I would suggest trying to meet guys through positive social things. Like a church group if you're into that, or maybe an exercise group/gym. Start by trying to find people through positive social outlets that interest you. You could try dating sites too, I'd just start with in person stuff, but jmo.

Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

In the past I've met guys on chat lines, through mutual friends, etc. I won't say where I met my current man but good luck in your search.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM
I'm no good for advice I'm happy single. Don't look something will come about
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:30 PM
I found a nice guy from POF and dated him briefly. But there were probably 100 douche bags I saw and talked to on there before him.

I'm single again and loving it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Everywhere, I am just sociable like that. Friends, online, bars, libraries, grocery stores, parks, etc... I just haven't found the right one yet. Just be open and sociable. Even if the guy you talk to isn't for you in a dating sense you can form a friendship and one of his friends could be the one.
teapartydiva524
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I met mine when I wasn't looking.  He came into my office and asked my boss about me.  I was going through my divorce so we started out as friends and it gradually turned into more.  I've never tried any online chat rooms but one of the girls in my office met her husband that way.

winedrinker
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 7:42 AM
I've met a few online . Nice guys , just not the one, and work usually . Good luck . It will happen when you least expect it . That's what I've decided .
Callaly
by Jessica on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I have met people through friends, at bars, at school, I used to work in the city and when out side on my breaks sometimes I would end up in a random conversation with a someone.

However I did meet SO online. At the time I was a single mom, worked full time and went to school part time, and I just didn't have the time to go on tons of dates just getting to know someone, online is good because you can talk.. alot.. before meeting someone and if you aren't into it after awhile you don't even need to go meet them.

zumbanerd
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I've been trying online dating. And now I'm done with that. :) I certainly have some stories now. I used match, okcupid, and eharmony (for free - I didn't bother paying because they didn't have anyone worth the amount for that subscription).

I have so much going on in my life that I really can't be bothered looking. If it happens, it happens. I just don't know how I'm going to meet anyone right now. I'm 37 and I've been separated for almost a year now and officially divorced for 8 months.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I tried online dating and found it for the birds, and I tried, I was on different sites for a good 3 years. Met a few nice people, met a few crazies. I did speed dating once, that was hilarious but fun. I finally gave up on all that and just started paying more attention to what was going on around me. My bf and I met through our daughters' soccer team, we started as friends, went to soccer husband/wife, to dating.

With your separation so fresh I would not recommend dating right now. It's easy to fall into the trap of, "well he's dating and happy so I should be too". Don't do it, enjoy your independence, heal from the heartbreak, finalize the divorce, move on. Then start dating. You don't want rebound relationships, they rarely last.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)