Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Is it possible to not work and raise 2 kids?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM
  • 27 Replies
I am thinking about going back to school full time, but wouldn't be able to work. I'm looking into financial aid, housing assistance, etc. But not sure if I could get by without some sort of income. I don't have family here to rely on.
Anyone gone to school and not worked? How did you do it?
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I'm sure you could.. But it sounds awful to quit your job and then rely on others.

I work and go to school with two kids. It's possible.
Texasgal99
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM
It's only offered as a FT program. The most I could work would be PT every other weekend.

Quoting Miss_Magnolia.: I'm sure you could.. But it sounds awful to quit your job and then rely on others.

I work and go to school with two kids. It's possible.
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM
My ex husbands friend does it. But she's in the Reserves so she gets a paycheck from the military and she gets her GI bill.

I'm doing it now.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM
I'm not sure.
Bump
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM

You would have to take out the max amount of loans every semester in order to live. Also look into work study

Texasgal99
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Did you take out a loan? How do you pay the bills?

Quoting moosesmom: My ex husbands friend does it. But she's in the Reserves so she gets a paycheck from the military and she gets her GI bill.

I'm doing it now.
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always received financial aid, even when I was working full time. I have no bills. I've always managed my money well so I've never had any kind of debt. So besides the phone bill and insurance I don't have any other bills.

Quoting Texasgal99: Did you take out a loan? How do you pay the bills?

Quoting moosesmom: My ex husbands friend does it. But she's in the Reserves so she gets a paycheck from the military and she gets her GI bill.

I'm doing it now.
Texasgal99
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM
You don't have rent/mortgage, utilities, etc?

Quoting moosesmom: I've always received financial aid, even when I was working full time. I have no bills. I've always managed my money well so I've never had any kind of debt. So besides the phone bill and insurance I don't have any other bills.

I'm doing it now.
mommaJewels2011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM
If you go for 9 credits instead of 12 loans will last all year. It is incredibly tight but you would be able to do it without a regular job if you keep your bills to the minimum. I've done it. It was worth it to me to focus on being a mom and getting good grades.
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I guess I should have included that info. A little back ground info. Lol. I was working with the military but our company lost it's contract, so I was laid off. Around the same time my ex husband was going back overseas so he moved us into his house (no mortgage, no bills to pay for) I just kept up the house. So for a year I lived in his house and went to school full time.

When he came home we both sat down and talked and decided that I should finish school and he would take care of any extra finances (there aren't any). I've been trying to finish school for over 10 yrs and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to take advantage of this time off. I've been VERY fortunate to have his support during this time. I understand that everyone doesn't have the same support system that I have, so I'm very thankful for this.

Prior to this I've always worked and attended school. If I didn't have the support I have, NOT working wouldn't be an option for me.

Quoting Texasgal99: You don't have rent/mortgage, utilities, etc?

Quoting moosesmom: I've always received financial aid, even when I was working full time. I have no bills. I've always managed my money well so I've never had any kind of debt. So besides the phone bill and insurance I don't have any other bills.

I'm doing it now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)