Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Nevada Child Support

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM
  • 7 Replies
Divorce is a living hell and complete nightmare. We did not use a lawyer for our divorce. I signed a settlement agreement without knowing that the child support guideline for two children is 25% of his monthly income. He makes a lot more than I will ever make/month. He pays about 1/3 of 25% of his monthly income in support for two kids AND alimony combined. What a mess.

We agreed after our divorce was final that it is okay for me to move to Wisconsin with the kids closer to our families. He is still in Nevada. He was cohabitating since we separated last year and married her October 2013 and has a son coming this summer.

He has paid religiously without a child support worker since the divorce for what I was dumb enough to agree to since the divorce. I was threatened last year that he would get full custody of the kids if I had used a lawyer for the divorce. I lived in real fear of this for a long time. But I have received compliments from others since I became a single parent.

We have joint physical custody and he rarely visited even since the separation. I will have had them nearly 100% of the time since the divorce last July.

He has told me the legal agreement cannot be changed, but most people say child support and custody can be changed.

Does anyone know if 25% for two kids is mandatory in Nevada? Is there a way to acquire the full 25% if the kids are entitled to it if I didn't know any better when I signed the agreement?

Is there anything I can do about custody?

Any advice?

I have tried to get along the best I can for the sake of the kids, but it is very painful, angering and depressing to know how severely we have been screwed over by the guy. Geeze.

I cannot afford a lawyer and local legal aid is not taking family cases at this time.

What a mess !Anyone who has more knowledge about the issue would be very helpful to me. Thank you!
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Bump since I'm in IL. But if you moved to WI you may also need to see if there is any laws there that you have to work with as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:12 AM
The answer is the same as it was in January. Yes Nevada is 25% state. You said he is paying 800ish. That is 25% of 3200ish. As I said in January, the 2500 figure that you are coming up with would have him making over 100,000 a year. No man in his right mind will go through a divorce with no lawyer that makes that much. 800+ in Wisconsin is a good amount of child support. Why do you think you should be getting 2500 for two kids?
chesswoman
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:11 PM
He makes 10k/month
chesswoman
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Possibly more. He did not include a business of his in community property even. I have them 100% of the time and he had the nerve to ask me to pay their travel expenses for the summer. I work in retail....
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Most attorneys offer free consultations I would talk to one. Modification is always an option
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sallyvm
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes more then likely you will battle two states. I have been doing this since 2013 and still have not gotten a piece of mail or check regarding the outcome. Good luck!!!

Quoting Jenn8604: Bump since I'm in IL. But if you moved to WI you may also need to see if there is any laws there that you have to work with as well.
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Glad I know something :)
Sorry you haven't gotten anything.

Quoting sallyvm: Yes more then likely you will battle two states. I have been doing this since 2013 and still have not gotten a piece of mail or check regarding the outcome. Good luck!!!

Quoting Jenn8604: Bump since I'm in IL. But if you moved to WI you may also need to see if there is any laws there that you have to work with as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)