Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How Did You Get Your Child Ready for Kindergarten?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM
  • 21 Replies

03/26/2014 EDIT: My daughter has "receptive communication disorder" according to the local educational psychologist. The local Head Start was not equipt to help her learn so I pulled her out.  If anyone knows anything about that, information on how to help children with differing abilities would also be helpful, although any and all tips would be helpful.

I posted this in "Toddlers and Preschoolers" but it seems like mostly SAHMs replied. While their ideas would probably work, I am unable to structure a school environment at home while working. So here I will ask, again:

How did you get your preschooler ready for kindergarten?

I had my 4 year old in a daycare from ages 1 until 3. Due to financial reasons I had to take her out and have my aunt watch her while I'm working instead. School starts in six months for my daughter and my grandmother is freaking out that she does not know all of her letters and numbers by sight (she only knows 11 of them by sight) and cannot write her name. (She does know her shapes, colors, how to make and recognize what comes next in a pattern, and other small things like that.)

I try having her watch the LeapFrog movies and Monster Math. We do flashcards at least once a day to try to teach her what the letters look like. I attempt to have her trace her name, but she has no interest and instead draws pictures (usually an octopus). I'm not sure what else I can do. because I cannot mimick a typical school environment while I'm working, and especially not with a newborn due in four weeks.

How did you get your preschooler ready for kindergarten?

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM

My little guy is only 18 months !!! so i havent dealt with this just yet !!!... right now im continously singing the ABC song and he sings it but not letters just yet lol.. he sings the melody... and he knows the "itsy bitsy spider" song !!!...right now your child is 4 yrs old so she should be going to pre - k right ??... this is the time that she will learn so i would say dont freak out...before when she was in daycare she learn through play because she was still young or still a baby now the curriculum will be geared towards actively learning instead of play to get them ready for kindergarden... but you are on the right track... learning does start from home and with the parents and family... continue to help her learn her shapes... her name ... her address.. colors...maybe on days off and maybe go to the zoo so she can learn different animals ... she still have time to develop that young but active mind just continue to encourage her and dont forget to give her positive paises when she get somthing right !!! :)

zumbanerd
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I started my daughter with the Kumon workbooks at 3 years old. My daughter is in kindergarten now. She along with 2 other children are the most advanced in their class. I would say at least get her practicing spelling her first name. There are children in my daughter's class that are only writing a letter to express a thought. There is also a reading teacher who takes the slower learners twice a week to help them catch up. I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

Maryloe
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I would read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom every day. After reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, I would hide the alphabet flash cards and have them count to 20 and my child would find the letters and say the letter that was found. My dd learned to write her name when she was 3, but my ds who is 4 just learned how to write his name. I made him practice writing his name on a white board, on the mirrors, and with shaving cream. My dd was reading at a second grade level before she started K by using Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, and my son just started and he is getting there too.
They listen to a CD that helps with phonics, skip counting, the months of the year, and days of the week.
Flylady14
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:51 PM

My dd is in prek. But I do teach her at home to emphasis what she is learning. ABC mouse is awesome too. Also brain quest workbooks and there is also apps to help. Teach me kindergarten is recommended. Good luck. 

biomom1437
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:53 PM

i have a 2 1/2 yr old.. she will be starting pre - school this fall.. and i have not a clue what "skip counting" means.. i hope that doesn't make me sound stupid.. please explain.. thanks..

Quoting Maryloe: I would read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom every day. After reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, I would hide the alphabet flash cards and have them count to 20 and my child would find the letters and say the letter that was found. My dd learned to write her name when she was 3, but my ds who is 4 just learned how to write his name. I made him practice writing his name on a white board, on the mirrors, and with shaving cream. My dd was reading at a second grade level before she started K by using Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, and my son just started and he is getting there too. They listen to a CD that helps with phonics, skip counting, the months of the year, and days of the week.

miss.mommie
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:53 AM
I have 3 boys ages 6-4-3..my first one didn't have the same advantage as my other 2 but I prepared them with the nabi jr it really helped them out my 3 yr old knows his numbers up to 35
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:15 AM
I have had my 4yo DS in the same daycare since he was 8 weeks old (I work there). They have an excellent preschool & prekindergarten program that is through the Creative Curriculum. They also use Zoophonics in the program.

Other things I have done at home are get preschool workbook from stores like Target & Kmart & have him work once a week on several sheets or once a day on one or two sheets. I also gavenhim scissors at an early age so that he was practicing proper use & handling. His preK teacher said he is the only one who can use them properly.
Maryloe
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Counting by 5s,10s and so on.

Quoting biomom1437:

i have a 2 1/2 yr old.. she will be starting pre - school this fall.. and i have not a clue what "skip counting" means.. i hope that doesn't make me sound stupid.. please explain.. thanks..

Quoting Maryloe: I would read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom every day. After reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, I would hide the alphabet flash cards and have them count to 20 and my child would find the letters and say the letter that was found. My dd learned to write her name when she was 3, but my ds who is 4 just learned how to write his name. I made him practice writing his name on a white board, on the mirrors, and with shaving cream. My dd was reading at a second grade level before she started K by using Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, and my son just started and he is getting there too.
They listen to a CD that helps with phonics, skip counting, the months of the year, and days of the week.

biomom1437
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

oh.. ok.. i had just never heard it called 'skip counting' b4.. thanks..

Quoting Maryloe: Counting by 5s,10s and so on.
Quoting biomom1437:

Quoting Maryloe: I would read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom every day. After reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, I would hide the alphabet flash cards and have them count to 20 and my child would find the letters and say the letter that was found. My dd learned to write her name when she was 3, but my ds who is 4 just learned how to write his name. I made him practice writing his name on a white board, on the mirrors, and with shaving cream. My dd was reading at a second grade level before she started K by using Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, and my son just started and he is getting there too. They listen to a CD that helps with phonics, skip counting, the months of the year, and days of the week.

acmom133
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM

First thing first.   You do what you can.  Any type of drawing or coloring will help her fine motor.  For a child to actually be ready for kindergarten they should know and identify the upper and lower case letters.  If she struggles with the flash cards break them down into smaller batches and try a few times a day.  It can be as quick as 2 or  minutes a few times a day.  They should be able to write their name.  Count 30 at least.  My children loved counting in the car.  They still actually do it.  They would see how long it took to the next light or how many seconds to get home.  Anything to make it fun and interesting.  However, anything you can do will help.  Word World is also another show that might help a bunch they teach letters and have rhyming words.  One of the most important things you can do is read with her.  10 minutes before bed.  Anything that gets her to love books. There are tons of resources online like ABC mouse and Starfall that will help make learning fun.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)