Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

2 babies, 1 mommy & a studio... How's this gonna work?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM
  • 42 Replies

Here's the deal. I live in Hawaii, currently living with family in a seperated Ohana (cottage) because rent here is RIDICULOUS. We're talking $1300.00 - $1400.00 for a 1 bedroom apartment, and that's on the lower end. I am pregnant again, as a result of a bad judgment call with my son's father (I just always want to give him the benefit of the doubt... damn it), and will be doing most of this on my own... at least financially. I make about $2300.00/month, so after bills I figure that I can afford about $1000.00 a month towards rent. This puts me in a less than ideal situation bc the only apartments in that price range are studios.

My point for posting this is I am wondering if any of you mamas have made a studio appartment work with 2 babies under 3 (my son will have just turned 2 when this baby is born)? My main concern is sleep patterns. What are your experiences/ideas/suggestions?

happy

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KREX0914
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I am currently sharing a room with my 4 year old daughter and have another daughter due in less than 4 weeks. Space wise we just cut back on possessions. Most everything I own is in storage and the room is for the kids. I just have a bed and dresser.
With that said, I broke down in hysterics today trying to figure out how exactly I'm supposed to function in this same situation AFTER the baby arrives, so I would love to hear comments from other moms.

KREX0914
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Also, I'm thinking of ditching my bed and buying a pull out couch. The comfort level is probably comparable to sleeping on a pile of thousand year old boulders, but it would make more room during the day.

TianaH808
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I feel ya. If I have to go with less, then I have to go with less... I'm just wondering how to deal when the baby wakes up in the middle of the night to feed? I feel like it is going to wake my son. On the other hand, we have dogs that occasionally bark in the middle of the night, and it doesn't seem to wake him up. I'm crossing my fingers that he becomes a hard sleeper!

Quoting KREX0914:

I am currently sharing a room with my 4 year old daughter and have another daughter due in less than 4 weeks. Space wise we just cut back on possessions. Most everything I own is in storage and the room is for the kids. I just have a bed and dresser.With that said, I broke down in hysterics today trying to figure out how exactly I'm supposed to function in this same situation AFTER the baby arrives, so I would love to hear comments from other moms.

TianaH808
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:26 PM

That's a brilliant idea, but ugh... :( a real bed is so awesome. haha

Hey, we gotta do what we gotta do, right?

Quoting KREX0914:

Also, I'm thinking of ditching my bed and buying a pull out couch. The comfort level is probably comparable to sleeping on a pile of thousand year old boulders, but it would make more room during the day.

RonaH
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have two kids but I shared with my daughter when she was younger. I tried not to be super quiet I found once she got used to the noise it wouldn't even wake her at night. I think that helped me a lot because I rally had to do everything in that room. They have some insanely comfy pull outs now a days if you go that way seely, lazy boy or serta. Yea you will pay a little more up front but sleep is well worth it. lol

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a studio and 2 kids for about a year. We had a couch and love seat. The couch had a pull out bed and then against a wall and behind the love seat was a twin bed. We didn't have a table/chairs so we ate on the couches with tv trays. You gotta get creative
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TianaH808
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Did you have any sleeping issues? Like, one waking the other up in the middle of the night? That's more of what I'm concerned with. :)

I'm going to have a newborn and a 2 year old! haha scary.

Quoting conniejo75: I had a studio and 2 kids for about a year. We had a couch and love seat. The couch had a pull out bed and then against a wall and behind the love seat was a twin bed. We didn't have a table/chairs so we ate on the couches with tv trays. You gotta get creative

neveragain17
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I lived in a studio with 4 kids for a year. Ages 13, 12, 8 and a newborn. I had a king size bed and a crib. A big dresser. I made it work for a whole year. We now live in a 3 bedroom apartment thank heavens!
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:53 PM
My kids were 8 and 9 at the time so it wasn't an issue. We all had to go to bed at same time. They'll get uses to it. My boys always shared a room when we had a bigger place too.

Quoting TianaH808:

Did you have any sleeping issues? Like, one waking the other up in the middle of the night? That's more of what I'm concerned with. :)

I'm going to have a newborn and a 2 year old! haha scary.

Quoting conniejo75: I had a studio and 2 kids for about a year. We had a couch and love seat. The couch had a pull out bed and then against a wall and behind the love seat was a twin bed. We didn't have a table/chairs so we ate on the couches with tv trays. You gotta get creative

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:45 PM
My son was always a good sleeper but we basically shared a room until he was 2 then I moved into the loft my house is 700 sqft it's tiny but we've made it work for 4 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)