Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Payback is a b****, but Im going to take that bike!!!

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:45 PM
  • 16 Replies

Backstory... When we were married I bought my car in my name and we bought his car with me as the primary and him as secondary since I had the better credit. Well when it was time to get divorced, I got my car and he got his. In the decree he was ordered financial responsibility of his car but he never got it changed. It has been a consistant hot point for the last 6 years. He constantly made late payments or missed payments altogether. He also trashed the car to the point is had no value. Well the car finally got repo'd and has already been sold at auction. He still owes $11K+ on the car but the collection company is coming after me and said the divorce decree doesnt matter to them. Currently he has a work truck and they traded in his new wifes hand me down truck for a big new shiny truck, which is irritating but I understand she needs a reliable vehicle becasue they have 2 small children. He still has yet to make any payments on the car loan that is still owed.

Now the part that really chaps my ass is I found out that he bought a brand new Harley Davidson!!!

I found out about it before they ever said anything and when the new wife showed up to pick up DD she bought it up and had to tell DD about Daddys new toy in front of me, I snapped back "when do you plan on paying the car note since you have all this extra money for a bike" She stammered and said it was a gift from his boss. (BS!!!)

Either way it would be considered an asset and Im really thinking about SUING him for the total owed on the car plus damage to my credit!!

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I would talk to a lawyer. They may be able to tell you how to get the bank to go after him for financial responsibility and take it off your credit. If you can't do that then I would take him to court because it's his responsibility.

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Law suit !!!
rachelsorenson
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:42 PM

i agree with this!

Quoting cjsmom1:

I would talk to a lawyer. They may be able to tell you how to get the bank to go after him for financial responsibility and take it off your credit. If you can't do that then I would take him to court because it's his responsibility.

toughmommy
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:11 PM
I had a similar issue but with a credit card I happen to have cosigned on, they came after me for his debts he continually racked up, I was able to get a court order saying the debt was his responsibility. Because my name was on the cc the credit bureau wouldnt remove it but they put a note on my credit report that says "debt assumed by other party by court order" that was how I fixed my credit report. As far as the new asset, he wouldn't be able to lease another vehicle if his name is attached to that bad debt, either it was a gift, he paid out right for it, or its under her name.
I recommend pursuing the its not your responsibility route in court with an attorney. If the creditor actually sues you again, lawyer up. It messy no lie, good luck to you.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:35 PM

What happens in the lawsuit? if you win will you get more than $11K?

rachel216
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Go for it!!!
Callaly
by Jessica on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Credit is nothing to mess around with, if I were you I would sue his ass!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I agree

Quoting cjsmom1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nana776
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Definitely this. They cannot just ignore the court order already in place. Sometimes these debt collectors lie and try to intimidate you, tell them you are refuting the debt and will be talking to a lawyer.

Quoting cjsmom1:

nana776
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I wouldn't  take the bike, it's going to come back and bite you. Go the legal route and make him take responsibility for the car.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN