Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Attorney general can't find him, but ex claims he has a job.

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

My ex lost his job a few months back, and child support stopped. Two weeks ago, he said he got another job and went into detail about his work schedule and drug testing. 

Child support hasn't come in yet, so I visited the attorney generals office today. They said there was nothing in the system stating he has a job now. Said he may be getting paid cash or working under the table. 

Does that sound about right? If so, what can I do? He had flipped out on me this past Thursday when I asked him to buy dd diapers, then came over late at night, shoved the diapers into my hands, and then said he would see me in court. He has made those kind of comments and threats since dd was two months old, and has not once followed through. What if he does this time?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Yes he could be working under the table.

If he keeps threatening court keep telling him to go head with it.

dawncs
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:35 PM

He could be working under the table for sure or commissions. He does not realize that arrears can be taken out even after age 18. Also, if he tries for custody, he could not get child support until arrears are gone to you. Just remember, he could do the same thing to you as he could do to a future girlfriend if she got pregnant.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Could it be that the job is still new so it's not getting picked up by the system yet. I would go back in a month and try again to see what they say.

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:12 PM

That's my plan. Although he's notorious for pulling things like this.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Could it be that the job is still new so it's not getting picked up by the system yet. I would go back in a month and try again to see what they say.

CafeMom Tickers
TME88
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:09 PM
I have an ex husband who never paid child support for the past 7 years for my daughter and the courts couldn't find any proof even when I showed support enforcement printed documentation he operated 2 businesses. To make matters worse I have not received any emotional or financial support from my 18 month old Babys father either yet he demands to see her and verbally harasses me. I have to file bankruptcy and my house is being foreclosed on. No justice and no one to help me.
wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know how it is in every state, but I used to work in HR for a company, and in our state, it could take up to a month for all the paperwork to be put in place and child support to start getting paid once someone gets a job. And of course, that's assuming he informs his employer of his child support obligation - if he doesn't and they have to be notified by the state, it could take longer. 

I'd give it another couple of weeks, at least, and then check again. If they still show no record, then yes, I'd assume he's working under the table. There's not much you can do about that, unfortunately. You could try to get his employer in legal trouble for it, but then he's out of a job, more than likely. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN