Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

HOW MANY OF U

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:05 AM
  • 21 Replies

LOST FRIENDS DUE TO BEING A SINGLE PARENT? HAD TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS THATARE IN SAME SITUATION AS YOU? HAVE BEEN JUDGED BECAUSE OF YOUR SITUATION? PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS, HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!:)

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heath77
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I have been judged by one friend. Not outright, but in other ways. She makes comments like when it was her daughter's birthday party last year she said dont worry if you don't have enough money to buy a gift you don't need to bring one or they have cute pajamas on sale at Wal-Mart. It was rude to me since I can afford a birthday gift. She looked at me like I was a stray puppy even though I feel and look better since I ended my marriage. Sorry but I think she's an idiot and i stopped calling her after that party this summer. She for the first time ever didn't invite me to her daughter's birthday party this march. I was not going anyway since her daughter is three years older than my son and he's always the only boy. He doesn't like going and her daughter and friends are snobby and rude. We grew up together. Its funny because I live in a nicer house and community than her. She still lives in our small town that most people cant wait to leave for college and never look back. My son goes to better schools and the girls here are much nicer and not like her daughter yet she judges me. I think it's hilarious because i am actually my fortunate than her. Her husband treats her like crap and cheats on her too, but her mentality is it's better to be a submissive doormat and married than to be happy.
SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I've never lost a friend for being a single mom, but I find it very hard, socially, to find people who want to hang out and do things I want to do.

Most of the single mom friends I've had have way too much drama.

Most of the married mom friends I have will only hang out to run errands, or have play dates in the few hours while their husbands are at work.

Heath77
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom wasn't happy with my decision to divorce and would rather me be treated terribly than be a poor, single woman. Other than that. I have lost no friends. I have only been judged by these two and their opinions carry no weigjt since I dont respect either one of them too much myself. I am guilty of judging my friend as well lol for staying with her awful husband and for raising her daughter to be rude and entitled. I am surprised she is raising her daughter that way. Its sad since the daughter used to be such a sweetheart and now her head is so big. I have made single mom friends and I still have my married friends. I was hanging out with all divorcees recently from my single parents group. It got a little depressing hearing their stories and I want to meet someone and remarry so I started dating and spending less time with my single parent friends. I believe you are the company you keep so Iwant to do things with my married friends and my single, but not divorced friends too.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure I have been judged more often than I realize. It was really funny when I was extremely pg with twins (I was a surrogate for a friend) and 4 kids 11 and under. That got some looks and comments. I wouldn't say that I lost friends because I was a single mom, more because of the divorce, some sided with me, some sided with my ex. The smart ones stayed out of it. I used to think I gravitated towards single people as friends but I have noticed that I do not. I take people at their face value, I expect the same in return.

rachel216
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM
I lost a lot of friends when i got pregnant mainly bc of my age i.think i was 17 when i had my daughter. My real friends never batted an eye lash but some of them made rude comments like "if that were my daughter id bust her ass" when dd was acting up. Ive also had a random women at walmart tell me that she feels sorry for my daughter bc i was yelling at her to sit dwn in the shopping cart. I flipped the f out on her! And guess what not 5mins later dd fell out of the cart..hmmm. ppls ignorance is annoying i have friends both married and unmarried and we all have different activities we do together: )
raegan1221
by Raegan on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I lost them all but gained some better ones:). I've never felt judged but more admired.
Callaly
by Jessica on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I had DD younger so I mostly get looks, and I normally just wink at them lol

I didn't lose friends becoming a single mother, I lost friends when I became a mother, people didn't realize that I wasn't focused on going out to bars and drinking all the time I was focused on DD.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

i never lost frioends due to being a single mom but when i was a siongle mom i sort of preferred the company of other single moms.

happynewyorker
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't lose friends for being single. I lost friends for moving from my apartment. 

There was an incident at my daughter's school last month and I was friendly with the mother. After the incident the mother on email said that she thinks my daughter has problems with the divorce and my daughter needed help, with this.  I was surprised of what she had written and thrown overboard.  Next............

I don't need anyone to judge me and my daughter for anything. If people look upon me as being dirty or not worth their friendship because I'm a single parent. So be it.  I don't care!!  I have many friends and will meet many people in my life that won't judge me because of me!

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I didn't lose any of my real friends, only the fake ones who happened to be related to my ex.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN