Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

good male role models

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
Does anyone know of any programs I could look into for ds?

My ex (not his dad) was around and was a huge help in kinda providing that male role model... but lately, he bails on ds and I've been thinking about putting an end to it.... haven't decided but I don't want ds to continuously be let down.

He's on the waiting list with the big brother program. He had a big sister before but this time, I'm really pushing for a man... sadly, not many men are volunteering their time. :-(

He's in karate- has been since Nov, but it's not that one on one with the main instructor. Like he won't be able to get a close-ish relationship with him, plus he barely comes as it is.

He'll be starting basketball, but it'll be at the rec center and again- I can't see how it'll really help form that male role model bond.

My dad is too busy and my 16 year old brother would rather poke his eyeballs out than hang out with a kid lol

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Bump. My son sees my dad every once in awhile and my brother maybe a little bit more. He needs good male influence in his life. Maybe I can rope my brother in or look into something posted on here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM
My son is also on the waiting list for a Big Brother.
Bump
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:17 AM

I was going to suggest big borther but it looks like you already went there. Do you have any male friends that can help?

LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM
My kids see my dad and grandpa regularly
true10ve
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Church youth groups? I'm not even religious but there are a bunch of social benefits to most churches that make them worthwhile above and beyond the religious aspect. Methodist churches tend to be very accepting and welcoming and aren't overly pushy when it comes to following their beliefs. Plus they have a very giving attitude which is great for anyone to join in on.
Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Unfortunately, no. The only male friend is my ex, whose been less than role model material lately. Lol

Quoting cjsmom1:

I was going to suggest big borther but it looks like you already went there. Do you have any male friends that can help?

Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM
We're actually gonna start going to church. I'm not religious either but ds has become sorta religious. I have to find where a good church is, and maybe go next Sunday, depending on if we'll be in town. Thanks!

Quoting true10ve: Church youth groups? I'm not even religious but there are a bunch of social benefits to most churches that make them worthwhile above and beyond the religious aspect. Methodist churches tend to be very accepting and welcoming and aren't overly pushy when it comes to following their beliefs. Plus they have a very giving attitude which is great for anyone to join in on.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

While good male role models are good they are not a requirement for a boy to grow into a good man. Karate and basketball are great, he will get some male influence and be "one of the guys" kind of thing. Another good way is via the television, there are so many crap tv shows on today with bad male role models. Try to avoid them, find the good ones and watch them together. Also when you see articles in the news about men doing good things talk to him about it.

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM

It is something I have been worrying about a lot too. I was sexually abused, which is how I got pregnant with my twins, so I am extreamly uncomfortable around men. My little brother, whom I'm raising, is 11 and I have been on the lookout for a good male role model for him, because I don't want him to inherit my fear of men as well. His therapist is a male and he also has a male soccer coach and they are both very good for him. That way he has a man to talk about "man things" with (of course I'm not sure what "man things" an 11 year old would talk about but that is his business).

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM
My best friends bf has been great he has his grandpas and karate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN