Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Question for the working single mommy ??? I need your help lol !!!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:43 AM
  • 69 Replies
4 moms liked this
Ok well all know the great new that I will be starting a new job !!! Lol .... but now it also hit me that I am going to be a working mom... and just realize my lil love bug has check ups and stuff ... how let my boss know if I needed time to take my son to the dr. Lol I know this sounds stupid but this is very new to me lol ... I walking on new territory here ....all the jobs I had I was childless... lol now I kinda feeling the "single" part of this whole single parenting....

How do you working moms handle working and still taking care of the mom duties that might have you call out of work or go to work latter than your regular schedule time???? ....my hours are great in my opinion ... I work 8am-5pm m-f lol those are my son dr. Office hrs as well lol... hmmm ....lol I mean if worst come to worst my i have my fam but just in case...

Do you moms feel like your look down upon when you have to ask your boss fo alter your schedule because your a single mom so you can take care of you child(ren) ?

Do your boss know your a single mom??

Do I have to let them know im a single mom?
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:04 AM
3 moms liked this
I would not advertise that you are a single mom to your boss. If he/she asks then answer truthfully. Un general I have found d male bosses that have wives who also work and have children are more understanding than not. For appointments I try to make them at the beginning or end of the day so I miss as little of work as possible. If I need to miss I let my boss know either verbally or via email. I have an understanding boss but I also have stayed late when needed and tend to be the person to go to when there is a problem.
RainyMorning28
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Try and make apts first thing in the morning and then  just let your boss know ahead of time that you will be in late.

When kids are sick I miss work.

I have always made it well known that I am a single mom, and have no help what so ever. I have never had a problem. If anything some of them have that it was awesome that I was willing to work and would do just about anything. i eve nhad one job that if the kids were sick they could go with me and lay on the massage bed.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

My personal life is not a part of my job.

I make medical appointments early in the morning or later afternoon. Work thru my lunch hour to make up the time. I also do this when I have to leave early for anything else I have to do for myself or my son.

Callaly
by Jessica on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

You will find out really early on if your new job is family friendly. I have worked at a place and they really weren't understanding they would give me alot of trouble if I needed to miss work or be a little late and it was really really stressful on me, imagine having to call in sick because your kid is sick and being more stressed if you will still have a job the next day when you go back.

Luckily I found my current job its not in my field but it works and they are really family friendly and completely understand, the other day my DD was with her father and he needed to drop her off, she came to my work and sat at my desk for an hour coloring.

I think that you should let them know that you are a single parent, they may be more understanding. and just try to really not take advantage of it and only take time when you have no other choice

moosesmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
When I first started working I never made appointments during work hours (early morning or I combined lunch and breaks) OR my mom was available to help out. Since I was to the scene, I didn't want my supervisor to think I was unreliable. So I made it a point to show up at my scheduled time everyday. Some employers get funny with single parents.

After you've been there awhile, then you could probably discuss schedule changes and whatnot.
teapartydiva524
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM

This is tricky.  I'm lucky enough to be with the same attorney I was before I was pregnant, while I was pregnant, he represented me in my divorce, and I just celebrated 7 years of working with him.  He's amazingly supportive and understanding.  His wife is also amazing. If dd is sick or has an appointment she'll always fill in for me.  I've brought her to work with me on more than one occasion.  I think it helps that I don't take advantage of his generousity.  My doctor has Saturday hours for non-emergencies and also an after hours care.  My boss can be very demanding but he's also very kind.  Good luck to you!

idomatter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you working moms handle working and still taking care of the mom duties that might have you call out of work or go to work latter than your regular schedule time???? I accrue sick & vacation leave at the rate of 3.66 hours each per two week pay period. If I know ahead of time, I request leave time. If there is an issue at the school or daycare that comes up, I let my supervisor know I have to take care of it (it's counted as sick leave) and if applicable, I don't expect to return that day but will make arrangements with his dad/family to have him cared for the next day (like the 24 hr wait time for a fever).

Do you moms feel like your look down upon when you have to ask your boss fo alter your schedule because your a single mom so you can take care of you child(ren) ? Looked down on, no.

Do your boss know your a single mom?? Yes. If you are at a job w/benefits, leave time, etc., but they don't kick in for 90 days, I would definitely get your family on alert that they may be called upon to handle situations that arise w/your kid. I had a bitch of a time in my early employment here where I was not getting along with my exh's family and the kids were getting ill and my supervisor was freaking out because we were not permitted to use our accrued leave time in the first 90 days of employment.

Do I have to let them know im a single mom? May as well, it will come up eventually.

Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:25 PM

My dad is my boss, so yeah, he knows =0)

AvaBrookesMom
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

my boss knew before I got the job I was a single mom with 2. My boss is very understanding and I have had to be out for a week at a time because my youngest has seizures and has been in a children's hospital for testing. I was worried thinking I might lose my job. But the good thing about where I work is I work the evening shift so I usually have mornings off and I can schedule dr's appointments in the am

LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
My boss doesn't know I'm a single mom and doesn't need to know. In your case tell them about any pre-scheduled appointments and any future appointments schedule in the morning since your schedule is 8-5.
I typed a letter with all my pre-scheduled appointments and gave it to my employer when I started my new job, and since I get off at 2pm, I schedule appointments in the pm if possible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN