shenesha taylorThere is nothing harder than being a mother. It's not just the sleepless nights or endless diaper changes. Are they happy, healthy, warm enough at night? Now imagine if you had little ones to care for but no roof over your head. No job to ensure that you could provide them enough food. That is the frightening predicament that Arizona mom Shanesha Taylor found herself in. You may recall the headlines she sparked last week after leaving her 2-year-old and 6-month-old in her car for 45 minutes while she went to a job interview. When she returned, the police were waiting and she was arrested. But it isn't just a judge that this down-on-her-luck mother has to face, it's the public, and the reaction has been unexpected.

It would have been easy for the masses to dismiss her as a bad mom and let the system take over. But quite the opposite has happened. There has been an amazing outpouring of support for Taylor. A fundraiser was started on YouCaring.com to help her family and so far has raised over $75,000.

Thank goodness that people are rallying around this mom. What she has been through proves the "it takes a village" theory is still so necessary and not just for the sake of the kids. Moms are in so much need of support -- both emotional and financial. I had no idea how hard being a parent was until I became one. It’s so emotionally draining and, to be honest, scary at times. I can’t imagine having to make the choice she did. Not sure I would have done the same thing, but I empathize with that desperation. All mothers should.

I think the reason so many people have extended a helping hand is because they know how hard parenting is in a bad economy. The sad fact is a lot of moms could find themselves in this very same position. It's heartwarming to know that there are people out there who care enough to help. 

CBS 5 - KPHO

Do you think we have a responsibility to help other moms?