Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

is this right or wrong ????

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM
  • 39 Replies
Ok soo today was supposed to be my first day at work aka my orientation day . But i got a call from the human resources department on Friday saying that my health screening results haven't come back yet so im not clear to go to orientation.. ok sooo today ... the same human resources rep called me say im cleared @ 9:30am and to get there at 12pm today for orientation (in the middle of orientation). But the orientation started at 7:30am and end at 4:30pm.

Ok when she told I wasn't clear on Friday to go to orientation I haven't made any plans to take my son to day care ... so thats why I just can't jump up and go. Second where is the organization ??? Im glad im cleared but im a mom. I need to plan ahead... i dont have any baby sitters readily on hand. And plus the drive is 30 min+ and its pouring raining outside. maybe if i was childless i just hop up and go ... but im not... so now i have to hear back from my two managers... and try to catch the next orientation date on momday 4/14/14....

I do feel bad that I couldn't make it but she told me Friday not to come...... I'm what you guys think ??? I don't think this is fair.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana776
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Well, you can only do so much. It sounds like it was a bit of a communication problem. This doesn't give them a very good first impression of you, but you can always work hard and change that. Good luck.

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Thats stupid !!! This doesnt give a very good impression of them ... its very unorganized... second i was prepared for weeks to go but Friday they told me not to go.... shit I did everything I was supposed to do and on time .... then you want to call me in the middle of orientation to go not factoring the distance and child care .... thats UN REALISTIC !!!! Shit I wanted to be there like everyone else ... but to just hop up and go. I couldn't.... I was already prepared to catch the the next orientation date since I wasn't cleared.

Quoting nana776:

Well, you can only do so much. It sounds like it was a bit of a communication problem. This doesn't give them a very good first impression of you, but you can always work hard and change that. Good luck.

LilMamaK
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

She said you didn't need to come and then said you needed to. It's understanding that you can't due to lack of sitter, and, your little one comes first. Hopefully they will understand and you can just attend the next one. GL hun!

Mommy to a beautiful daughter (7.5.08), Stepmom to an amazing son(6.5.07), and Angel baby boy(3.6.10)

Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you Super! How can that give them a bad impression of you when they told you not to come Friday and then sprang this other one on you last minute? That wasn't very professional of them. I'm sure you need the job but your child comes first. However, would it have been possible for you to get him to daycare and then go for orientation? If so, may I ask why you didn't do that?    

Quoting superdivamom727: Thats stupid !!! This doesnt give a very good impression of them ... its very unorganized... second i was prepared for weeks to go but Friday they told me not to go.... shit I did everything I was supposed to do and on time .... then you want to call me in the middle of orientation to go not factoring the distance and child care .... thats UN REALISTIC !!!! Shit I wanted to be there like everyone else ... but to just hop up and go. I couldn't.... I was already prepared to catch the the next orientation date since I wasn't cleared.
Quoting nana776:

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I would let the sitter know when she is needed just in case something like this happens again you will have someone to watch him.

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM
No I could drop my son off to daycare but she told me I had to be there at 12. I can't take a shower get dress do my hair (im natural lol no perm so it takes a min) then get my son ready drop him off to day care ( fix his bottle and a change of clothes) then drive 30+ min to be there at 12 IMPOSSIBLE !!!!... IM NOT LAZY ... I LIKE TO BE PREPARED ....LET ME GET SHIT READY AHEAD OF TIME SO I CAN GET OUT THE DOOR... and this is new to me shit I never had to work with having a child on my hip.. everyone in my household works so basically everything falls on me. So when she said not to go to orientation I didnt make any preparations to go... besides I never had an employer call me in the MIDDLE OF orientation to go. Like seriously !!! . I just pray it didn't cost me the job because lord knows I need it and I do want its a wonderful place to work. ..

Lmao shit im not trying to be like that lady who left her kids in a car for a interview lol... shit this is why moms get looked up. And THANK GOD I have common sense because I wouldn't want to be in that position. ..

Quoting Nisha929:

I'm with you Super! How can that give them a bad impression of you when they told you not to come Friday and then sprang this other one on you last minute? That wasn't very professional of them. I'm sure you need the job but your child comes first. However, would it have been possible for you to get him to daycare and then go for orientation? If so, may I ask why you didn't do that?    

Quoting superdivamom727: Thats stupid !!! This doesnt give a very good impression of them ... its very unorganized... second i was prepared for weeks to go but Friday they told me not to go.... shit I did everything I was supposed to do and on time .... then you want to call me in the middle of orientation to go not factoring the distance and child care .... thats UN REALISTIC !!!! Shit I wanted to be there like everyone else ... but to just hop up and go. I couldn't.... I was already prepared to catch the the next orientation date since I wasn't cleared.
Quoting nana776:

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM
I don't have a sitter .. on I only have a daycare as a option at the moment and they have set hours.

Quoting virginiamama71:

I would let the sitter know when she is needed just in case something like this happens again you will have someone to watch him.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Just an idea but you may want to "practice" your morning routine before your first day of work. If you can't get called at 9:30 and be somewhere at noon with getting the child to daycare I hate to think of what time you will have to get up at to be at work at 8 am.

As for them calling and changing things last minute, it happens. I work in payroll which works very closely with HR. We are constantly berating departments for starting employees before medically and backgrounds are cleared.
brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

it sounds a like a miscommunication.   You should have paraphrased it back to them saying HR called last Friday, I wasn't cleared to come in today.  

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Ummm !!! One thing about me I am always PREPARED !!! IM AM UP AN READY TO GO IN MANY SITUATIONS NOT ALL BUT MOST !!!! ONE THING I LEARNED WHEN YOU HAVE A CHILD THERE IS NOOOO SUCH THING AS RUSHING !!!! ESPECIALLY IF YOUR CHILD IS A BABY !!! AND THAT IS WHERE PREPARATION COME IN AT !!!

I cant speak for other moms but I need to know ahead of time... my routine was down packed but when you tell me I not come because my results didn't come in then I did just that. How professional is it walking in the middle of orientation anyways while people been there since 7am. That would make me look bad. Im a colored person but I don't operate on colored peoples time LMAO !!

LOL LIKE TO THINK OF MYSELF AS TRAINED PLAN EXECUTER !! ALWAYS READY TO GO !!!! But plan A sometimes is also your plan B AND C !!!..

Quoting krisnkids: Just an idea but you may want to "practice" your morning routine before your first day of work. If you can't get called at 9:30 and be somewhere at noon with getting the child to daycare I hate to think of what time you will have to get up at to be at work at 8 am.

As for them calling and changing things last minute, it happens. I work in payroll which works very closely with HR. We are constantly berating departments for starting employees before medically and backgrounds are cleared.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN