Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Passport question

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 26 Replies
Do you need the father's permission to get passports for children if he is not on the birth certificates? He pays court ordered child support.
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Why isn't he on their birth certificates if he is paying court ordered support?

Not sure but I do know that if you have sole physical and legal custody you can get a passport without the other parent's signature.

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM
My son's sperm donor isn't and doesn't have to be. We were not legally married, so it was not required. They prefer you to get CS out of the person you think is the father. So he can either admit and just pay or deny and pay when DNA says "You're the father of this baby."
OP I'm unsure as I have no money to ever leave the country. Heck i couldn't even afford to ever go to Alaska or Hawaii.

Quoting krisnkids:

Not sure but I do know that if you have sole physical and legal custody you can get a passport without the other parent's signature.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
islandgirly
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM
We weren't married and I didn't want him on the birth certificate. When I filed for child support, he contested the younger one so a DNA test is on file for him. There is no custody agreement. He has no interest in seeing them and I have no interest in speaking to him if I don't absolutely have to.

Quoting krisnkids:

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

The best thing to do is call the passport office.  Getting a passport when you don't have an out of the ordinary situation requires jumping through hoops as it is.

moosesmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM
3 moms liked this
You'll probably have to submit an application with the certified birth certificate and your name. Obviously there are people who won't have both parents listed. Call their office to be sure.

On a side note: it's sometimes a good thing to have the fathers name on birth certificates, regardless of feelings involved. It may benefit the child when it comes to health insurance, social security, and child support (which you have set up).
islandgirly
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Thanks, I will do that. I was thinking about taking the kids on a cruise in the next year or two and just wanted to be prepared.

Quoting moosesmom: You'll probably have to submit an application with the certified birth certificate and your name. Obviously there are people who won't have both parents listed. Call their office to be sure.

On a side note: it's sometimes a good thing to have the fathers name on birth certificates, regardless of feelings involved. It may benefit the child when it comes to health insurance, social security, and child support (which you have set up).
Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:35 PM
For me, ds doesn't have his bd on the birth certificate and when the post office asked who the father was, I told them I didn't know. Idk if there's like a flag in the system for passports and cs though. I got ds' passport when he was under 6 months and cs didn't go through until almost 18 months. Haven't had a problem renewing his passport since then though

islandgirly
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Thanks for the help!

Quoting Shy_Dia: For me, ds doesn't have his bd on the birth certificate and when the post office asked who the father was, I told them I didn't know. Idk if there's like a flag in the system for passports and cs though. I got ds' passport when he was under 6 months and cs didn't go through until almost 18 months. Haven't had a problem renewing his passport since then though

LilMamaK
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

In FL you have to have BOTH parents consent, unless one is dead, then you have to show proof they are not living.

How is he paying child support and not on the BC?

Mommy to a beautiful daughter (7.5.08), Stepmom to an amazing son(6.5.07), and Angel baby boy(3.6.10)

Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM

It's possible. My kids father pays court ordered CS for both of them but his name wasn't on their birth certificates. I had them amended to add his name but that was years after he was already paying.

Quoting LilMamaK:

In FL you have to have BOTH parents consent, unless one is dead, then you have to show proof they are not living.

How is he paying child support and not on the BC?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN