Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What's your opinion on this??

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM
  • 26 Replies

Father gets 6 months in jail for paying child support late

Posted: Jan 22, 2014 5:56 AM EDT Updated: Feb 12, 2014 5:56 AM EDT
HOUSTON (FOX 26) -

Clifford Hall's repeated apologies to family court Judge Lisa Millard fell on deaf ears.
    She found him in contempt of court last November not for failing to pay child support but for paying late.
    When Hall returned to court Tuesday for a hearing he was hauled off to jail to begin serving a 180 day sentence.
    "He's going to be devastated," Hall's mother Gladys said. "I'm devastated."
    "If it can happen to him it can happen to anyone," said Hall's attorney Tyesha Elam. "That's the message that I really really really want to get out there."
    Court spectators expected to hear some heinous thing Hall had done to his 11-year-old son or how he was thousands behind in child support payments.
    "Maybe he's molesting the child there's some reason why this man would have to pay all these attorney fees and go to jail," Elam said. "We want to hear that I want to hear that cause then it would make sense."
    Hall's attorney is adamant that he actually overpaid his child support.
    What did Hall in his attorney says is a change in the law.
    "Prior to June 2013 a person could not be incarcerated if they got behind on their support and got caught up," Elam said.
    Not anymore.
    Take Hall for example.
    "How is this in the best interest of the child," wonders community activist Quanell X. "Something is absolutely wrong in the state of Texas and it needs to be corrected."
    Hall's ex-wife and her attorney declined to comment.
    "If you do the right thing obey the laws you wont have to spend time in jail I should have told him don't have sex cause that will get you thrown in jail," Hall's mom said.
    In addition to 6 months in jail Judge Millard ordered Hall to pay around 11 thousand dollars in attorney fees.
    The judge ordered him to pay that by May 26th even though he will still be behind bars.

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Based only on what this article says there's so much wrong.

1. He shouldn't have to pay his ex's attorney fees. She hired an attroney so she should have to pay them. I have never heard the other parent having to pay attorney fees in child support/custody cases.
2. Locking him up isn't going to help this man get caught up in cs fees. And if I read this correctly he was caught up, but paid late.  I don't understand why he was locked up in the first place
3. This man evidently was trying to support his child and be there so the courts should be helping him not making it harder

Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:02 PM

It was late but at least he paid it. I don't think he should have been locked up. The system is so flawed. How does she expect him to pay his CS from behind bars?

brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:41 PM

RIPLEY'S Believe it or Not

toughmommy
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM
If they get thrown in jail they can't pay cs or visit kids, so not good for kids, if he was truly caught up on cs then shouldn't have happened. I've never heard of a court just locking someone up for a late payment, there is missing info for sure.
Karen24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Hey at least he did pay. IMO they need to lock up the ones who never pay, or don't even make any effort to pay and are able-bodied to work.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM

He should not have been sent to jail or have to pay the fees.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:54 PM

And the whole process of jailing people for not paying or getting late, than sending them to jail needs to change too. It is not working.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:28 AM

I agree! Sending someone to jail for not paying does nothing but run up jail costs. Why are we (tax payers) paying to keep people behind bars for cs? It just doesn't make sense.

Quoting virginiamama71:

And the whole process of jailing people for not paying or getting late, than sending them to jail needs to change too. It is not working.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, which is why my comment "based on the article". I really hope there's more to the story beause this doesn't make sense.

Quoting toughmommy: If they get thrown in jail they can't pay cs or visit kids, so not good for kids, if he was truly caught up on cs then shouldn't have happened. I've never heard of a court just locking someone up for a late payment, there is missing info for sure.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

The system as a whole needs to be completely overhauled.

Quoting Nisha929:

It was late but at least he paid it. I don't think he should have been locked up. The system is so flawed. How does she expect him to pay his CS from behind bars?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)