Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

When do you introduce the kids?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM
  • 20 Replies

Okay, My BF and I have been dating about 4 months and things are going well. With summer coming up we're trying to think of maybe introducing our kids. His are 5 & 9 and my son is 6. With summer coming up it'll be hard not to do things with the children and we're just thinking about it... What would you do?

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana776
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I would not introduce any children into the relationship until you are both sure about how you feel and where this relationship is going. For me, four months is not long enough to figure that out. I believe it takes about six months before people get really comfortable with each other and show their true colors.

There are plenty of things you can do with and without the kids, just not always with each other. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not had the experience but maybe by now you can introduce him as your friend, than do activites together with the children.

Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I think 4 months is fine but act friendly instead of like your in a relationship around the kids. I think it's better to know if it going to work with him and the children before your too far gone.
brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I think you answered your own question. 

teapartydiva524
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

My dd met my boyfriend around that time but we did it in a group setting the first several times with lots of friends and other kids around.  It was probably three or four months after that that we began hanging out with just the three of us.  That time frame worked for us.  My ex and I get along but he doesn't get her a lot.  It was getting impossible to see each other without my dd around.  However, we'll be together two years in August and he still doesn't spend the night unless she's at her dad's.

Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My boyfriend met my kids after 7 months.
We wanted 6 but then scheduling and nerves made it 7. He's never been around kids before and we didn't know how that would be.

He will not be spending the night while my kids are here until we are married. Which also won't be for a long time. Maybe after 5 years or so..
Heath77
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:08 PM
If it feels right I would do it.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:36 AM
I agree

Quoting virginiamama71:

I have not had the experience but maybe by now you can introduce him as your friend, than do activites together with the children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mira_B
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Well he's seen my son from our first date. He came to my family's shop when we were demo-ing and I put him to work to see what he'd do... We went to the house and grabbed some coffee and used the restroom and he saw my son then. My son just thought he was a friend until March. And my BF has asked him a few times "Is it okay if I date your mom?" and my son's reply has been, "Hmmm.... Yeah!" every time. Jason is his friend too and he went on our first real date (going out) with us last week (we went and saw The Winter Soldier) I just haven't met his kids yet. He lives about an hour away and his mom watches them so he can come visit. I'm super nervous about meeting his kids, and I've every intention to keep some space when they're there. I don't want them to be uncomfortable at all.

Callaly
by Jessica on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM

What I would do because there are 3 kids involved and you don't know how they will react to eachother... I would meet his kids solo without your child first. Then you can let them know that you have a son yourself and maybe they would be interested in meeting eachother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)