Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

growing herbs

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM
  • 7 Replies
So I bought basil and cilantro plants from walmart. I know nothing about gardening please help. My friend told me something about tearing leaves off every so often so no flowers bloom. Do I water once ua day? I bought them yesterday. I had already moved them to a pot with soil. Umm... anything else? TIA
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM

bump I have no idea

wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I'm not an expert, but I don't think you need to water them every day unless they need it. You should just keep the soil slightly moist. You'd want to tear leaves off to use it, anyway, but I've never heard anything about doing it so flowers don't bloom.

If you repotted them, I would definitely give them some water.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM
If you pick the basil and cilantro before they flower, they'll keep producing. Once they flower though, they're done for the season and should be pulled. With cilantro though, if you let it flower, you'll get coriander.

Don't overwater, but make sure the soil stays damp.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Bump no clue
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deltathree
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM

GL - let us know how it goes.

aztecqueen22
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM

it rained so much and so hard today... should i put it elsewhere for now like inside and also everytime it rains that way it isnt overwatered?

Quoting sid1083: If you pick the basil and cilantro before they flower, they'll keep producing. Once they flower though, they're done for the season and should be pulled. With cilantro though, if you let it flower, you'll get coriander. Don't overwater, but make sure the soil stays damp.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:01 AM
If it's in a movable pot, you could put it under cover for a day or two to let it dry out a bit, but it may not be totally necessary if it's not supposed to rain the next couple days. At least you won't have to water!

Quoting aztecqueen22:

it rained so much and so hard today... should i put it elsewhere for now like inside and also everytime it rains that way it isnt overwatered?

Quoting sid1083: If you pick the basil and cilantro before they flower, they'll keep producing. Once they flower though, they're done for the season and should be pulled. With cilantro though, if you let it flower, you'll get coriander. Don't overwater, but make sure the soil stays damp.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)