Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

After school child care terminated without notice *vent*

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

DD (4) goes to Head Start and for the past couple months has been riding the bus to a home day care center after school. I've always paid on time, always picked her up before 6pm, and have never heard anything negative about her behavior. She's on Spring Break so I took the week off work and kept her home but I did pay her normal fee for this week to "save her spot". But, the owner called earlier today (Thursday) saying she'll no longer able to watch DD. WTF??? She didn't give me any reason, like shutting down, but did say it wasn't because of anything DD did. That makes it seem like she's getting rid of DD to keep a full time child instead. I get that this is how she makes a living and a full time child will bring in more money than a part time child but I still think it's BS! Her school gets out at 2, I get off work at 5:30. Now, I have one day to find  a place for her to go AND transportation for her to get there.  She loves school and said she doesn't like day care because "that's where babies go" so I don't want to completely pull her out and put her somewhere full time but I may not have any other option. :( 

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM

can you ask her for a referral to someone in the area?
Also if you paid for the whole week, can she still go tomorrow?

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Or talk to people at the head start program. Where do other children go after the program ends?

Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My son has a daycare right across the street that transports him to and from school. Since i work long days 3 days a week.

Ask her. Or maybe the school for a referral. Maybe there is a daycare that already transports other students from her school so the programs could be for older kids.
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a contract with your care provider?  Usually they have to give you notice of anywhere from 7-30 days that they are terminating your child's care.

828momof2
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM
I can't find the stack of papers I filled out when DD first started going there. But I thought we were both required to give 2wks notice. I went by there yesterday to get DDs things and my refund for this past week (DD didn't go at all since school was out for Spring Break and I took vacation). She said she was sorry but if she didn't make changes she would've had to shut down. I was still angry and didn't ask specifics because I really didn't care so I don't know if she got caught keeping too many kids or if DD had to leave to make room for a full time kid. I'm thinking it's the latter because I never saw more than 5 kids on the sign in sheet weekly. I have a new daycare lined up starting Monday and it's an actual center so I'm hoping this works out better. The owner thinks they'll have time to pick up DD before they pick up kids from another school but has to check with the driver Monday to be sure. DD would be on a bus longer than she is now and with kids she doesn't know so the transition may be a little difficult but she'll be around more kids her age and probably doing more things so I think it's going to end up being much better. But it still doesn't make the last sitter's actions excusable! I'm really trying to be the bigger person and let it go knowing a better thing is place but part of me hopes the kids still in that woman's care find alternate arrangements and leave her at the last minute.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:23 PM

This is good you found another daycare but try not to hold a bitter heart towards the other daycare provider. It does nothing for you.

Quoting 828momof2: I can't find the stack of papers I filled out when DD first started going there. But I thought we were both required to give 2wks notice. I went by there yesterday to get DDs things and my refund for this past week (DD didn't go at all since school was out for Spring Break and I took vacation). She said she was sorry but if she didn't make changes she would've had to shut down. I was still angry and didn't ask specifics because I really didn't care so I don't know if she got caught keeping too many kids or if DD had to leave to make room for a full time kid. I'm thinking it's the latter because I never saw more than 5 kids on the sign in sheet weekly. I have a new daycare lined up starting Monday and it's an actual center so I'm hoping this works out better. The owner thinks they'll have time to pick up DD before they pick up kids from another school but has to check with the driver Monday to be sure. DD would be on a bus longer than she is now and with kids she doesn't know so the transition may be a little difficult but she'll be around more kids her age and probably doing more things so I think it's going to end up being much better. But it still doesn't make the last sitter's actions excusable! I'm really trying to be the bigger person and let it go knowing a better thing is place but part of me hopes the kids still in that woman's care find alternate arrangements and leave her at the last minute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN