Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Do you try to "make it up" to your child?

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

As a single mom, do you ever find yourself trying to "make it up" to your child that there is only one parent in the home?  Maybe you buy them things to try to make up for Dad's absence or you give them things that they don't necessarily need?

Do you do things for your kids to try to make yourself feel, or look, like a better parent?  

by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I don't. The first Christmas after my divorce I got the kids things from their dad but he paid me for them. I don't try to make up for their dad's absence because to me that would be apologizing for it. Personally I am glad I am no longer married to their dad, we are much better off now then we were when I was married to him. Bf did buy my 16 yo son some things; through me, so he would have his stuff upgraded like bf's son, but that wasn't any "keeping up with dad" or anything, it was just a kind gesture to give my 16yo something that he wanted.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

NO

mz23
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM
...no
Callaly
by Jessica on May. 1, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I used to, until my SO knocked some sense into me and boosted my confidence as a mom (I needed it)

Nisha929
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I never have and I never will.   

RonaH
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM
No I dont. My kid knows its all me all the time as she doesn't know her dad. I try and raise her to be happy with what you got and it seems to have worked fine.
ChangingLanes
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM

NO...

lee2362
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM
All the time....working on it tho
teapartydiva524
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM

No.  I spoil her but it's because I want to and I did it before her dad and I separated as well. 

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. My kids have never met their father (and will never meet him if I have anything to say about it) and I don't feel like I Need to buy them things to make up for that. I do give them extra attention because I'm the only parent that they have but that's it.

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)