Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How did you tell them?

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:11 AM
  • 16 Replies

How did you tell your child/ren that you and their father were splitting up?  Was it a surprise to them or were they expecting it?

by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
londiebay84
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Ds was only 8 months old. Didn't have to explain.
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I didn't, my idiot ex told them before we'd even had the ability to discuss it.

Monsita
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Hugs.

I am very familiar with your situation: my ex did the same thing.

I think they do it out to hurt us!!

Quoting amonkeymom:

I didn't, my idiot ex told them before we'd even had the ability to discuss it.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 1, 2014 at 9:34 PM

It was better for him to talk to our son about this.

My son said he understood but there are days when I know he is still struggling with this. We will talk about it a couple times a month.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM
My kid wasn't born yet bump for more eyes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM
It was so long ago I don't remember. At the time the kids were 9, 6, 4, & 2. We were living with his mom & moved into our house without him.
brieri
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Nothing for awhile, I did take them to counseling and he was supposed to be there, but when he said he's not showing up, that was the last straw and said to the counselor then their doing fine in school.  Adios lady counselor.  She calls me back a week later saying he wants to be there and I said, nope, he's had his chance Adios Lady counselor.  They were doing fine in school.  He'd show up at the house unannounced a few times then drop out of thier lives for acouple of months til court date and then back in their lives when he had formal visits - the rest was history - they figured it out over time.

teapartydiva524
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 12:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Dd was almost 2. She was excited we were getting a new house. Lol

sid1083
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM

We never lived together so neither kid knows any different.

wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I was still pregnant with my youngest, and my oldest was only 2.5, so I didn't tell them anything. My ex managed to annoy the crap out of my oldest enough that he didn't seem to be bothered that his father was gone, and never looked around for him or anything like that. The only time he looked for his father was the night I kicked him out, when his father left the house without saying goodbye to him, while he stood there watching his father go. That was it. 

Now that they're older, they've never really asked why we split, so it doesn't come up much. They know that if they want to talk about their father, they can ask me anything or tell me anything, but they both seem to have no interest in talking about him at all. 

If they'd been older, I'd say they probably would have expected it. Honestly, I think most people were more surprised that it took as long as it did for us to split. lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN