Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Define Paycheck to Paycheck living S/O

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM
  • 33 Replies

So I was curious, living paycheck to paycheck was brought up in another post.

What do you consider living paycheck to paycheck?

401k/403bs-is that money counted?
Vacations? can you go on vacations living ptp?
Savings? live ptp but require yourself to put money in savings?

by on May. 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM
3 moms liked this

I always thought a person living check to check meant they had no money after paying their bills, nothing in a savings and no splurges on vacations or other activities.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM

See, that's what i thought. But then I look at it and sometimes I don't have money left over but its because of what the kids are doing or need clothes etc.

Quoting virginiamama71:

I always thought a person living check to check meant they had no money after paying their bills, nothing in a savings and no splurges on vacations or other activities.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this

i have a pension through my job, but i have no savings. honestly we get paid, we pay most to bills and have very little left over, not enough to save. any time i do rustle together a little money, something comes up.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM

That is when we have months when we are living check to check but the extras may not come up again next month or for awhile.

Quoting krisnkids:

See, that's what i thought. But then I look at it and sometimes I don't have money left over but its because of what the kids are doing or need clothes etc.

Quoting virginiamama71:

faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM

id like to add we do get a bit of wants for the kids. life would suck for them if we did not.

Quoting faerie75:

i have a pension through my job, but i have no savings. honestly we get paid, we pay most to bills and have very little left over, not enough to save. any time i do rustle together a little money, something comes up.

Callaly
by Jessica on May. 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Pay check to Pay check to me is nothing left over no savings and living very basic life style.

I get paid, I pay all my bills, I spend during the week and I save biweekly as well!

krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Or like when my electric bill is 450!

Quoting virginiamama71:

That is when we have months when we are living check to check but the extras may not come up again next month or for awhile.

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting virginiamama71:

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 6, 2014 at 4:11 PM

If you have to pay the electric bill in 2 installments with one almost making it late, so you end up with late fees, than you are living check to check. Or it takes most or all of one check to pay it.

There is not enough to cover the living expenses in between checks.

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting virginiamama71:

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting virginiamama71:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

The electric bill is usually 100-150. With the cold ugly winter months we had this year monthlies were 245, 351, 419, 396 and 236; so about a thousand dollars more than they were last year. I moved and my house is not as well insulated as the last house. Planning better for it this year.

It was so bad that the electric company's recording starts with "if you are calling to discuss payment arrangements due to unusually high electric bills due to the cold weather press #"

Quoting virginiamama71:

If you have to pay the electric bill in 2 installments with one almost making it late, so you end up with late fees, than you are living check to check. Or it takes almost or all of one check to pay it.

There is not enough to cover the living expenses in between checks.

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting virginiamama71:

Quoting krisnkids:

Quoting virginiamama71:

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Are they offering a plan for people with the unusually high bill?

Quoting krisnkids:

The electric bill is usually 100-150. With the cold ugly winter months we had this year monthlies were 245, 351, 419, 396 and 236; so about a thousand dollars more than they were last year. I moved and my house is not as well insulated as the last house. Planning better for it this year.

It was so bad that the electric company's recording starts with "if you are calling to discuss payment arrangements due to unusually high electric bills due to the cold weather press #"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN