Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

WHAT IS A GOOD SALARY FOR A SINGLE MOM????

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this
What do yoy think is a good salary for a single mom???

I know everyone has there own # that they are comfortable with !! ...

The reason why i ask because lol im thinking about switching jobs because of the pay very soon !!! Even though i recently became employed with this wonderful company ... the salary isnt doing me any justice !!! What I make in a month was what I made on one check with my last job !!!.... but now that I have a child I need more money lol it seems like my check just goes to daycare and a few necessities but nothing for me !!! .... but at the same time I don't want to seem like I'm job hoping lol... and I love the company but they are not paying me enough !!!
by on May. 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Enough to pay all your bills to keep a roof over your head, food on your plates, electricity, and water on and be able to afford gas to get to and from work and daycare fees sound like good wages to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Have you tried to budget?

In this area a single parent would have to make $50k or more to live decent.

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Girl im a budget QUEEN LOL !!! ... I dont eat out.... I bring my lunch to work... I dont really have any bills except one credit card bill... I live with fam however I do like contribute like $150 a month for house hold bills and stuff... I pay for food and gas .... but most if my lil money goes to daycare which is not expensive btw and my son ... like clothes and food for him to take to daycare.... but nothing is left for me !!! .... budget isnt an issue ... its simply they arent paying me enough. I took the offer because I desperately needed a job !! And its a great job but the salary isnt what I wad looking for !!! I think I might stay in this current position for like 6 months and then apply internally to another or high paying possition.... im little torn because its a great company to work for... i might look for a sec night job if I can handle it. I want to eventually move out on my own but I definitely want to be financially stable.

Quoting virginiamama71:

sid1083
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
The only person who cares about your salary an advancement is you (general you). That being said, if you think an opportunity elsewhere makes more sense, go for it; but I would caution taking or changing jobs solely based on the compensation package. Nothing worse than making cash but hating life.

It sounds like you've really thought it out and want to stay with a good company where you have room for advancement. Good luck with your decision!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
try2bstrong
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you can talk to them. . . .  explain that you are a single mom and that you like the company so if there is another job within the company that does pay more you would like to apply for it. You never know, maybe they do have soemthing available. 

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Where I live even 50K is too little for a single mom. My rent alone is 1400 a month. Factor 50k after taxes including state tax split into 12 months pay. I live in CA and I do taxes. That is roughly 3,200 a month. That is because it is a higher tax bracket. Once you make over i think 39K your tax bracket jumps and you have to pay more to the IRS.

Watch this breakdown:

3,200 income

1,400 less rent

400 less day care

300 less car payment

45 per week gas for the car (180)

250 less medical insurance premium

400 groceries (100 per week)

That alone leaves $270 at the end of the month. Welcome to CA and welcome to making more money. The government sure knows how to give incentives to those of us who want to be successful.

http://www.taxact.com/tools/tax-bracket-calculator.asp

you can calculate your federal tax rate here. and see the table below as a guide.

Quoting virginiamama71:

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 2:50 AM

And in CA look at this. A single person making 50K pays 9.3% tax plus $2191.48. Lovely right?

http://www.tax-brackets.org/californiataxtable

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Look into cost of living in your area. Generally to be comfortable, your rent should be around 25% of your income. For me it is about half of mine. Find out if there is ability to advance at your company. Good luck with your job searches! Hopefully you'll find a great position.

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with sid 1083 and Jenn 8604... you really need to consider the fact of whether you will be happy in the new higher paying position....in my situation I am a nurse,  I went from working 12 hour night shift ( totally exhausted after the 3rd day )and  every other week end back in 2009  while I was married to the one  I have now which is 8 hour days Mon -Fri, every Federal holiday off and NO WEEKENDSin an outpatient clinic.. cost me a $1200 a month decrease in my pay ;making double time for holidays and getting a couple week days off BUT I get to care for my child and work full time, never spend a night away from my daughter, get to take her to all of her after school activities, take her to every B'day party invite, spend quality time with my daughter EVERY DAY, couldn't be happier  with the choice I made, and not to mention less stressful work.....GOOD LUCK ...

krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
From an employer standpoint stick with the job you just got for at least 6 months. Job hopping is not a desirable trait in a potential employee.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)