Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Living arrangements

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:30 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
What are your living arrangements? What does it cost?

For now until I can get my student loan debt under control I am and have been living in a one bedroom apartment with my son. It's the most I can afford. Here it's about $1,400 a month in rent. I plan to stay here at least another 3-5 years. I'd rather sacrifice and save up money to have a better place later on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Right now I live in a bad neighborhood. It's not ideal but it's all I can afford with student loans and paying everything myself. It's a 5 bedroom and it's $800 a month with nothing included. I just moved there 2 months ago because my mom and siblings were supposed to move in and split the bills so I could save up to get a new car. However, no one else moved in yet so I'm paying everything.

mrsary
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:29 AM
On post in a 4 bedroom condo. We only use 3 of the rooms though.
mrsary
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:30 AM
And its just my kids and I.
teapartydiva524
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Two bedroom house.  It's just me and my dd.

ANewMe0812
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM

At the moment I live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment. It was all I could afford since I have paid all the bills on my own. Since I am a newly single mother, I am going to take advantage of the offer my mom gave me and move in with her and my step dad probably in September. I hate my job so I will be quitting and going to school full time, to better my life and my sons. It's a new journey for us. 

proudmamab09
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM

My son and I share a bedroom in my brothers condo. I have a good paying job right now so I help him pay bills and do the cooking and cleaning. I'm almost done with school so maybe in another year we will be out on our own.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM

This is why I left California. I was paying 1400/month for a 2 br apartment. I now pay 850 for a 4 br house, yard too!

Callaly
by Jessica on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM

That is a CRAZY amount in rent WHOA. Here for 1400$ a month you will get a super stylish penthouse downtown or an amazing house rental in the suburbs. I don't know how you do it.

For the past 3 years I have been living with my mom, she bought the house, when I move in I agrred to pay 700$ for me and DD, everything included (food too) its worked out but most months I ended up paying closer to the 1000$ to help my mom out the most I could.

Tuesday I will be moving my DD and myself in with my SO. We will have a LARGE 2 bedroom for 785$ a month(heating included). We are going to save tons of money because of what I was paying with my mom and he was paying 565$ for a 1 bedroom downtown.

You all need to move up to Canada and save money with meee lol

Callaly
by Jessica on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Is a bigger house with your kiddos and a certain someone in your near future cards?

Quoting krisnkids:

This is why I left California. I was paying 1400/month for a 2 br apartment. I now pay 850 for a 4 br house, yard too!

Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM
I live in a small 2bed house. Huge backyard very country. 850 a month. I have a steal because my landlord has a heart and liked me and helped get me and my kid outta a shitty neighborhood
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN