Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

what do you think about online dating???

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM
  • 18 Replies

I want opinions from both sides: Do you trust online dating? Would you try it? If you have tried it, did you have a good experience or a bad one? If you were to start dating someone you met online, would you constantly feel nervous everytime they went online and be worried he (or she) was meeting other people the same way they met you? Would this thought ever cross your mind: "Why is this person looking for a relationship online? Why haven't they met anyone in 'real' life yet, (so to speak)?" --(even though you yourself are doing the exact same thing)
Tell me your horror stories or share your happy endings..................

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoldenLinds
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I've done it. I was a single mom. Spare time couldn't be spent trying to find someone to date so icfound them online and made a date. My best advice. Just do it. Send messages. Dont be worried about rejection. If they respond then dont spend too long talking inline. You aren't you online no matter how you try. Get on a date as soon as tou can. You have to mwet in person. Onlynmeet for drinks. Always tell someone where you are going. Dont deviate. And most importantly. Dont be ashamed or too polite to walk away if you aren't interested. Dont do it. If its just not there say thanks for the time and good luck and leave. If they make you feel wven a little uncomfortable ask an employee to see you out. Again. Dont be embarrassed. Your safety is the number one importance.
All that being said. It worked for me. I wasn't evwn interested in a relationship. I just wanted to date and have some fun. I went on 6 dates. One kiss. And then the date that changed everything came. Im now in an amazing relationship with a respectable and honest man who loves me and my son. His boys are good young men and we're expecting in dec. We have a house on 10acres that we work on together and he's the love of my life. It can happen. You can find the good ones.
harleigh07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I did it a few years back and actually met a few great guys! One of them is still my friend lol.

I would do a site that costs money, because a lot of guys that just want a "hook up" arent really wanting to pay the money for it. I tried both Match.com and plenty of fish (free). I met a couple off POF and they didn't really turn into anything. But on Match I found men that were actually looking for a relationship. I always did the 3's rule. Talk online for 3 days before giving out phone number, talking on phone/txt for 3 days before meeting. When you do meet make sure it's casual and lots of ppl are around. Like a coffe shop or somehting. 

The reason I did the "3's rule" is because you want to talk to them enough to see if you find them interesting enough to meet, but you don't want to wait too long to meet that it ends up wasting your or his time if you just don't "click" in person. and going on a bunch of dates is perfectly acceptable. I had a guy once ask how many dates I was on or if I was talking to anyone else, and I was very honest. It's a dating website, you don't stop talking to everyone just because you found someone interesting and are seeing if you hit it off. Again that was part of my 3's rule lol. if we did a 3rd date and still really hit it off I would stop "looking" after that. lol. 

hope that helps a little! good luck and have fun with it! it was a fun experience!

kylensmom1229
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM

really great advice- thank you. I woulda never though about the difference with the sites that cost $$ being a little more "serious". That was a good point. I also like your "3 Rule"!

Quoting harleigh07:

I did it a few years back and actually met a few great guys! One of them is still my friend lol.

I would do a site that costs money, because a lot of guys that just want a "hook up" arent really wanting to pay the money for it. I tried both Match.com and plenty of fish (free). I met a couple off POF and they didn't really turn into anything. But on Match I found men that were actually looking for a relationship. I always did the 3's rule. Talk online for 3 days before giving out phone number, talking on phone/txt for 3 days before meeting. When you do meet make sure it's casual and lots of ppl are around. Like a coffe shop or somehting. 

The reason I did the "3's rule" is because you want to talk to them enough to see if you find them interesting enough to meet, but you don't want to wait too long to meet that it ends up wasting your or his time if you just don't "click" in person. and going on a bunch of dates is perfectly acceptable. I had a guy once ask how many dates I was on or if I was talking to anyone else, and I was very honest. It's a dating website, you don't stop talking to everyone just because you found someone interesting and are seeing if you hit it off. Again that was part of my 3's rule lol. if we did a 3rd date and still really hit it off I would stop "looking" after that. lol. 

hope that helps a little! good luck and have fun with it! it was a fun experience!

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM
I have done it and had a dozen guys stand me up. But met one decent man who I dated until he was offered a better paying job out of state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
You'd be surprised how many men were wanting a hook up on Christianmingle and paid to find someone. All the guys I met on there were looking for one thing and it wasn't God.

Quoting harleigh07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I tried it before and the relationship lasted 4 years (off and on). I would try it again if things didn't work out with my boyfriend and I. The guys online are no different than the ones you meet at a club, the grocery store, church, etc. With all of them you have to be cautious and take your time getting to know them.

harleigh07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM

yea I looked into Christian mingle and didn't think it was a good fit for me. I read some reviews on it, and my sister did it and nothing really great was said. That's why I had chosen to go with Match. IMO it's all about research and asking the right questions when talking to the guy. 

Quoting Jenn8604: You'd be surprised how many men were wanting a hook up on Christianmingle and paid to find someone. All the guys I met on there were looking for one thing and it wasn't God.
Quoting harleigh07:

Karen24
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM
I have had horrible luck going about dating the usual way. I also have trust issues so no online dating for me. Nope. Nada.
woodstock525
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I met my dh online.  But, especially now, I would say if you're going to try online dating be so very careful.  I only had an ad out there for three days and took it down because the guys who seemed to respond were either ugly, old, married, or perverts.  The only reason I chatted online with dh past that time is that he was the only one out of a ton of guys who responded who didn't sent me a nude picture of himself or jump right into online sex chat.  To me that was the biggest turn off for the majority of people who responded.  

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM
I've done it and would do it again just be careful about meeting people
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN