Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Custody & Visitation

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories about child custody and visitation.

Here are some tips from the moms in this group:

• Put children's needs first
  • Don't talk negatively about the other parent/minimize tension and agression
  • Pick your battles
  • Assure children that both parents love them
  • Be creative with visitation when it comes to friends, activities and holidays

travel

For more help:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please share your best advice for those facing custody issues below!

Find more advice for moms, from CafeMoms here: 

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Ty3angels
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My ex and I went through court when my son was just over a year, to try and settle custody and child support needs. We agreed that I was the sole provider (child lives with me), and he gets access every other weekend and pays x-amount of money for child support a month. my son is now 9 years old and it has worked for us. My ex and I have a pretty good relationship as I want my son to be apart of that and not have to pick sides or feel as though he is in the middle. My sons needs come first always.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM

That's great!  I'm glad you were able to work things out so that your son coms out the winner! :)

Quoting Ty3angels:

My ex and I went through court when my son was just over a year, to try and settle custody and child support needs. We agreed that I was the sole provider (child lives with me), and he gets access every other weekend and pays x-amount of money for child support a month. my son is now 9 years old and it has worked for us. My ex and I have a pretty good relationship as I want my son to be apart of that and not have to pick sides or feel as though he is in the middle. My sons needs come first always.

Ty3angels
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It has been a long road but we are always working on it so our son doesn't suffer. we both try to be as accomodating as we can to the others schedule. it has worked for us and continues to work as best it can.

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM
I never have to worry. My ex won't ever see him unless hell freezes over, and I don't mean Hell, Michigan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM

My 2.5 yr old sons dad told me its time to split up.  It is his house, we are not married.  I (& my 2 daughters from previous marriage) have been living with him for 3yrs.  He has a lot of money & I do not.  I will have to move out into a smaller house because I will not be able to afford much.  He tells me that if I try to 'pull' something and get more than 50/50 custody he will hire the most expensive lawyer & fight me on it.  I am so sad to know soon I will not have my son with me all the time.  I am trying to be fair.  He works all the time, hunts, fishes & gambels 6 of 7 nights a week.  He tells me he wont do that in the future when he has our son.  I dont want to battle him & have a looong custody battle... it just feels so unfair that because he has money he will probably get what he wants... he is not a bad guy...just not ever there.  If he didnt want to put him to bed then why does he suddenly want to now?  My friends say its cuz he dont want to pay alot of child support.. .so I told him I didnt want his money.. but he still says he wants our son 50/50.  How do I become ok with this?  It is so hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:15 AM

My ex has been mia in my son's life since he was 2  and now that he is 14 he is trying to say he wants visits with him and my son said he does not want nothing to do with him, so ex leaves a letter in mailbox and it says he will take me to court blah, blah

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)