Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms - Click here for tips on Custody, Child Support, Divorce, Pregnancy and More...

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to the Single Moms group!

You'll find tips on each of these topics in the links below:

Click here to see what Single Moms are discussing on the group today:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

Please feel to reply to posts that you see or start a post of your own! 

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Replies (21-25):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Welcome Jamie!  When is little Benjamin due to arrive?  Do you plan to file for child support?

Quoting JamieLynne91:

Hey there! My name is Jamie, i'm 23 and currently expecting my first baby, a little boy i've named Benjamin. My ex gave up all rights to the baby as soon as I told him I was pregnant, so i'll be a single mom. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

To say i'm a little nervous would be an understatement. I have my dad, who is wonderful support, but there's always some stuff you can't tell your dad lol. I'm lucky to say I have a steady job, but after my maternity leave is up, I'm not sure if I'm going to continue that job. Childcare is what I worry about the most, mainly the cost.

I look forward to hearing from all you lovely ladies! Have a wonderful and blessed day!

JamieLynne91
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Hi Amy! Benji is due on June 22nd. I've been told by a family lawyer that since my ex addressed me officially stating that he's giving up his rights to the baby, I can not file for child support.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Did the lawyer say how this works when it's something said verbally? Is there any legal papers that can be written up now that the father can sign or is this something he has to wait until the baby is born?

Quoting JamieLynne91:

Hi Amy! Benji is due on June 22nd. I've been told by a family lawyer that since my ex addressed me officially stating that he's giving up his rights to the baby, I can not file for child support.

workinmommy2014
by Member on Mar. 18, 2015 at 11:19 PM
I live in California and I filed for child support with the child support and that case is pending. We did not get married and he did not out his name on the birth certificate. My baby is now 9 months old. He hasn't seen the baby since December 2014. In January, we mutually agreed to cancel that visit in Jan because both the baby and I were sick with the flu. We didn't want to risk the baby's health. We both had a fever. So I decided to file for custody and visitation in the local court where I reside. I decided to do that because I want that legal piece of paper stating I have custody. He is a truck driver and drives 48 states. We had mediation back in September when my baby was 3 months because he fails to communicate with me in a timely manner to set up the visitation. On Feb 13, 2015, I filed the custody and visitation and had him served that same day. I received his response on 3/6/2015 indicating he was not sure the baby is his. I forgot to mention he requested a DNA test in the child support case. We already did the testing and I received the results which of course showed he is the father about last week. So I requested a hearing for custody and visitation. Ever since he was served with the paperwork for custody, he disconnected his phone number and broke off all communication. He hasn't called or text to check on the baby. When I received his response, I noticed he listed a new phone number for him. But he still hasn't called. I don't call because I feel he is the one who should initiate contact since he changed his phone number. When I requested the hearing I explained the situation and informed the court that I have my own home, I provide for the baby, I have great family support system and due to his schedule, I should be awarded legal and physical custody. I also stated I have no problem with him in visiting the baby but since he has not visited the baby in a few months then he should be able to verbally say he is not going to visit. I am trying to show it is not me against visiting the baby. It is actually him. I am wondering if I should have asked for sole custody. And oh yeah, his gf called me a few days later after he was served. I didn't call her back but waited a few days and she disconnected her number too. Makes me wonder if they are both hiding something.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Just stop communication and trying.

Quoting workinmommy2014: I live in California and I filed for child support with the child support and that case is pending. We did not get married and he did not out his name on the birth certificate. My baby is now 9 months old. He hasn't seen the baby since December 2014. In January, we mutually agreed to cancel that visit in Jan because both the baby and I were sick with the flu. We didn't want to risk the baby's health. We both had a fever. So I decided to file for custody and visitation in the local court where I reside. I decided to do that because I want that legal piece of paper stating I have custody. He is a truck driver and drives 48 states. We had mediation back in September when my baby was 3 months because he fails to communicate with me in a timely manner to set up the visitation. On Feb 13, 2015, I filed the custody and visitation and had him served that same day. I received his response on 3/6/2015 indicating he was not sure the baby is his. I forgot to mention he requested a DNA test in the child support case. We already did the testing and I received the results which of course showed he is the father about last week. So I requested a hearing for custody and visitation. Ever since he was served with the paperwork for custody, he disconnected his phone number and broke off all communication. He hasn't called or text to check on the baby. When I received his response, I noticed he listed a new phone number for him. But he still hasn't called. I don't call because I feel he is the one who should initiate contact since he changed his phone number. When I requested the hearing I explained the situation and informed the court that I have my own home, I provide for the baby, I have great family support system and due to his schedule, I should be awarded legal and physical custody. I also stated I have no problem with him in visiting the baby but since he has not visited the baby in a few months then he should be able to verbally say he is not going to visit. I am trying to show it is not me against visiting the baby. It is actually him. I am wondering if I should have asked for sole custody. And oh yeah, his gf called me a few days later after he was served. I didn't call her back but waited a few days and she disconnected her number too. Makes me wonder if they are both hiding something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN