Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doesn't Affect Me

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM
  • 8 Replies

So in all the history of school violence no one that I know directly has beef affected by it. Then I see this on my fb wall that was posted by my kids' school district.

All student activities on all five high school campuses (including the entire XXXXXX campus) are canceled today, July 23, 2014, out of an abundance of caution. Three homemade over pressure devices (explosive devices) were found in the back bus parking lot at XXXXX High School. One self-detonated. No one was injured. The other two devices were deactivated. There are no threats. We are acting out of an abundance of caution.

This is my childrens' home high school, one attends there, another plays soccer there. My daughter was practicing about 50 feet away from where the devices were.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Serafinia
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Did I read this right?  An "explosive device" self-detonated? At a school? And the school thinks that canceling activities is being overly cautious?  Hmmm.....

I would make sure my kids weren't even AT school....what am I missing here?  This is some scary stuff~!

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:36 AM

There are 5 high schools, they cancelled everything at all high schools for the entire city for the day. Soccer, football, cross country, etc. Overly caution applies to the other schools. Not sure what they are doing at my kids' school as far as investigation yet other than its ongoing,

Quoting Serafinia:

Did I read this right?  An "explosive device" self-detonated? At a school? And the school thinks that canceling activities is being overly cautious?  Hmmm.....

I would make sure my kids weren't even AT school....what am I missing here?  This is some scary stuff~!

ANewMe0812
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM

This is scary. Unfortunately, violence in schools is common nowadays that's it is easy to forget it's an issue until it hits close to home. Glad no one was injured.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I think a lot of people have the attitude of NIMBY . . . until it happens in your back yard.

At least everyone is okay. 

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Hugs

I am glad nobody was hurt.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I live in the suburbs in a very nice area. I think that one day school violence will not only affect me/my area but every area in the United States one school at a time.

LifeCafe42
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:24 AM
How scary
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

That's really scary. I'm glad no one was hurt

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)