• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old to ride the city bus?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM
  • 10 Replies
So I know there are many people who are anti-bus. I am not, I've never had problems with taking the bus. One struggle I have is being everywhere to drive my kids to all their separate activities...it seems I always have to bend over backwards and rope several other people into helping drive them around, which isn't always available. A friend of mine suggested I let them take the bus. My jaw hit the floor... umm not yet to young. I don't have a problem with the bus but I think my kids are just a bit to young 10 and almost 12. The kids both say they want to learn to ride the bus by themselves so that they don't have to miss out on something just b/c they don't have a ride.
if I were to let them I would make sure they sat by the driver, had a phone, and I'd do test runs with them... But I can't get over...I still think they are to young. Am I being too protective by not letting them use the city bus? Do your kids use the bus without you? What age do you think would be OK for them to venture out on their own via bus?
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nisha929
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 14 and wants to ride the bus and I'm not feeling that so...I understand just how you feel. However, she will have to start taking the bus to school in September and I'm somewhat afraid but I know that she has to learn at some point. 

10 and 12 though...I don't think I'd go for that but if you feel that they're mature enough and will follow your rules, try it one time and see what happens.   

toughmommy
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Thanks. I'm releived to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. I think I'll put that issue on the back burner for a while.:)

Quoting Nisha929:

My daughter is 14 and wants to ride the bus and I'm not feeling that so...I understand just how you feel. However, she will have to start taking the bus to school in September and I'm somewhat afraid but I know that she has to learn at some point. 

10 and 12 though...I don't think I'd go for that but if you feel that they're mature enough and will follow your rules, try it one time and see what happens.   

mommy2boys03
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My 10  year old no way I would   say.  He has never ridden a city bus in his life.  Where we live it's not available near us.  I do know there are kids at my son's school that take the public bus to and from school everyday on their own.  There is some agreement between the bus line and my kids' charter school.  Now if they were used to the bus and are responsible I might consider it especially they were riding say with a friend.

Tashia07
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

You know your children's maturity better than us. In the city I grew up in, yes. In the city I went to college in, yes. In the city I live in now.... maybe! It can be safer than walking,

wendythewriter
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a 13 and a 10 yr old. We live in a rural area with no bus service. The nearest city does have it, but I don't think I would be comfortable letting them ride it alone. I'm not sure *I* would be able to ride it alone! lol 

I think you know your kids better than your friends do, and if you don't feel they're old enough, ready, whatever, then you have to go with what you think is best. There's always going to be someone who thinks they know better than you about your own kids - but they're not the ones that will have to live with the consequences if you go against what you think is best and something bad happens. So you do what you think is best for your kids, and if someone else disagrees, who cares? 

Callaly
by Jessica on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I would personally wait till ages 14 and 12 and the 12 year old would have to be with the 14 year old.

We have buses here and DD won't be taking them.. probably ever lol

LifeCafe42
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM
We don't have a convenient bus to us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffsgrandma
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Times have changed since my kids were 10 and 12 lol Back then, if they wanted to go to the mall, movies etc, They either walked or rode the bus. I used to ride my bike everywhere. Now most kids do not even have bikes, or know the "rules of the road". Anfd drivers do not know to look out for walkers/bike riders. we have bus that picks up and drops off just down the street. I am about to suggest that my 13 year old grandson learns how to use it. Because kids have to cross a busy street, everyone gets bussed here, OMG. It boggles my mind. And we wonder why kids are whimps and have no clue how to be independant. And yes, the busy road has a stop light. and it is only 3 blocks to grandaughters school, no crossing till at the school and they have to ride the bus. 

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I started riding the bus when I went into 5th grade. I had to take it everyday to school and shortly after I started riding the bus I started taking it everywhere. By 14 I took a bus and two trains to get to school.

I would let ds ride the bus to and from school now by himself if he needed to, but I'd get him a cheap phone to call just in case. Ds is nine, but very mature for his age.

bressmommy2012
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I've been riding the bus for most of my life. I'm 21 and was riding the city bus to school on my own when I was 13 and I think it was fine for me, I live in one of the most dangerous cities in America too (Saginaw, Michigan).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)